How do I import a vault from previous 1password to my new 1password account?

Options

Honestly, this way more complicated then it should be, all I'm trying to do it import some data.

Here is the breakdown:

• I have 1Password on my phone, its an older iteration of your platform that sync's to Dropbox.

• I've recently signed up for the trial of 1Password online, or whatever your new platform is called. Into that vault, I've imported data from another password manager.

• So now I have 2 1Password vaults but in different accounts. I want to merge the two, preferably to a new vault in my new online 1Password account. Still with me? Seems pretty straight forward right? Turns out its anything but.

I've tried backing up from 1Password on my phone, downloading the file using iTunes file sharing. Now I have a 1p4 file, which apparently I cannot import to my new 1Password account without possibly deleting all the data that currently exists in my vault....

On top of that, in the new 1Password online version in the desktop application I see two options to import and export. Seems you can export to .csv and .txt but can only import 1PIF and Openvault files....

Seriously? Why have you made this so complicated?

You guys started as an Apple based software solution, so I assume you've read Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs. Remember the story about the guys who were hired to create a new CD burning program? That story seems incredibly prevalent here. I would recommend a read and then perhaps rethink your strategy as this is way too complicated.

In the meantime is what I want to do even possible? Or should I just give up and find something else.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @rgad: I'm not sure what led you down the path of exporting and backing up, but we have the whole process of switching to an account -- from sign-up, to migration, to setting up other devices -- documented here. If you could share what might have helped point you in the right direction, we'd love to hear your feedback. We're always working on making the setup process easier. :chuffed:

You already have the file you need in this case -- your vault on Dropbox (either an Agile Keychain or an OPvault). These are imported directly by 1Password for Windows, as you mentioned, and are something you will already have if you're syncing your vault. In this case, I'd go down this path as it sounds like you already have some items saved in your Personal vault, which means the automatic importer built into the iOS app won't prompt you to move your items as it first checks for a Personal vault that's either empty or only has the 3 starter items in it. You can find the filepath of this vault by checking in 1Password for iOS, if you're unsure. Tap Settings > Vaults > Primary > Sync service and the path will be displayed below Dropbox near the top. I hope this helps, but let us know if you have additional questions. :+1:

• rgad
    rgad
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate, unfortunately the page you link to (which looks like it was published 2 days ago) doesn't contain the information I need. Still, from what I understand, all I need to do is get the dropbox file and import it directly that way.. Turns out my iCloud file is actually syncing to my iCloud drive (that's on me, my mistake).. but it seems there is no way on God's green earth that I can actually get that file as using iCloud for Windows doesn't seem to provide access to the file, nor does signing into icloud.com.

Something else you may be interested to note, when I installed 1password for Windows on my machine, I needed to use an administration login as my machine is connected to a domain, despite the fact that this account is only a user account. But then 1password only installs on the admin account, not the account I'm actually logged in as. So..... that sucks...

Is this a lost cause? It seems this process really is way too complicated. I see from other posts in this forum there are other frustrated users as well..

• @rgad: The support documents are updated constantly, so while that one's been there for quite some time, it may show as being published more recently if we made some tweaks. That's one reason we switched away from downloadable user guides. Making a UI change in the apps no longer leaves everyone with outdated documentation, which I'm grateful for every day.

Now, back to migration -- if you're syncing to iCloud, you're right that you won't have that file. 1Password uses CloudKit to sync, which is only supported on Apple devices, unfortunately. What you can do, however, is switch to Dropbox sync on your iPhone real quick (Settings > Sync > Primary, disable sync, then enable Dropbox sync). This will put your vault file on Dropbox allowing you to access it on Windows and import that file as described in the guide (but again -- any questions, just ask :chuffed: )

As for the install issue, 1Password 6 doesn't really need admin permissions to install (and in the future won't even ask for them) and should install fine if you decline them, although I will admit that an account on a domain is something I'm less familiar with. I've gone ahead and left the development team a note asking for some guidance there, but I'd definitely appreciate some additional details there. Are you saying you don't see 1Password 6 at all on the user you wanted to install for? Did you run the installer on that user account and still end up with it on the admin account or did you switch thinking you had to?

I don't think this is a lost cause at all. Windows likes to make things complicated and, while dealing with it can be frustrating to be sure, working through this is very much doable and it will only help us learn about your experience so that we can improve it for the future. If you're up for pushing on, we're here to help. :+1:

• rgad
    rgad
    Community Member
    Options

WOW... this program is something else...........................

I've now spent how many days trying to get this to work.. and still nothing... unbelievable.

So, I've now sync'd my dropbox folder (turns out you cannot create a new archive in dropbox, if 1password finds an old vault hidden away in Dropbox, it'll choose that vault and not give you the option to sync your data to new vault... awesome).

Downloaded the file from Dropbox

Tried to import... wrong master password.. are you kidding me? you mean the password I JUST used to log in to my app?

Okay.. so, let me change the password...

Nope... still wrong.

To avoid the obvious question, no this is not the password of my online 1password account.. this is the master password for the account that was syncing with icloud, that is now syncing with an old 1password backup file.

It literally blows my mind how you guys have managed to over complicate what should be a 3 step process.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rgad: If you'll let us know more about where you've been using 1Password I'm sure we can help. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing how you've set things up unless you tell us. It's pretty simple, but certainly as with many things it is possible to make it more complicated. Based on your comments, my guess is that you've gotten confused between multiple vaults, since you've mentioned using both iCloud and Dropbox. iCloud implies that your existing data has been on an Apple device, since that isn't an option for syncing anywhere else. That also only works with a Primary vault. So that will be the Master Password you use to unlock the app there, and if you changed that...it will have no impact on the Master Password for the vault you have syncing with Dropbox. So that's why you're running into this new issue: it seems like you don't know the Master Password for your Dropbox vault, and you've been changing the Master Password for the iCloud vault, which you know, instead. Does that ring a bell? I'm sorry that you're struggling with this so much. We simply can't stop you from setting up multiple vaults with different Master Passwords and getting mixed up, but if you'll give us a better sense of how you've set things up we can help you get sorted. :)

This discussion has been closed.