Mac OS Sierra: 1Password automatically downloads update w/o asking for system password

Options
80mph
80mph
Community Member

Last night, I received a notification in 1Password (upper-right hand corner) that an update was available. I clicked to download it, and it downloaded - however, there was no window that popped up, asking me for my system password.

I panicked and thought I just downloaded something nefarious, so I immediately deleted the 1Password on my MacBook. I don't know what version I was using, but it must have been fairly recent because I use 1Password regularly.

I don't know if this is a bug in Sierra or 1Password, but shouldn't the system ask me for my password before downloading a software update?

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1036), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bundtkate
    edited November 2017
    Options

@80mph: I luckily had an outdated version of 1Password on an old Mac I had to dig up the other day, so I updated and I saw the same behavior -- no request at all for my system password. That said, this behavior may differ based upon whether you installed 1Password from us or from the Mac App Store and also will differ based on your security settings (I personally try to avoid having to enter my system password as much as possible). I haven't tinkered with these settings on my new Mac just yet, which recently did prompt me for my system password to install an update. Keep in mind, Apple does quite a lot to protect you from malicious software, so while it's always good to be conscious of where you're installing or updating an app from, your Mac itself is also looking out for you. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.