LastPass Export Converting ">" to "&qt;" and "<" to "&lt;"

Options

I'm moving from LastPass to 1password. I exported from LastPass and pasted the data into 1password as per the instructions. A few of my imported passwords weren't working, so I took a look at what LastPass was exporting and I found that LastPass is changing ">" to "&qt;" and "<" to "<" in my exported passwords. Is this a problem with how LastPass is exporting the data or should 1password be converting the "&qt;" to ">" and "<" to "<" on import?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MichaelMc
    MichaelMc
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Looks like some of the text in my title and post are getting converted to "<". The problem characters are & l t ; and & q t ; (minus the spaces)

Edit: the "q" should be a "g"

• MichaelMc
    MichaelMc
    Community Member
    Options

The problem characters are ">" and "<" being exported by LastPass as amersand-g-t-; and amersand-l-t-; (no dashes)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options

@MichaelMc ,

It sounds to me like you are trying to use the converter suite and you are using Chrome? If so, do not use the Extension to export your data from LastPass. From my Note in the README.pdf:

Note: The LastPass extension for Chrome incorrectly opens the export as an HTML document. If you are using Chrome as your browser, do not use the extension to start the export. Instead, either use the LastPass extension in another browser, or use the Tools > Advanced > Export item in the left sidebar when your vault is open in the browser (you will have to use the copy / paste method mentioned in the note above).

If you are using the converter suite, please use the 1.10 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the thread.

• MichaelMc
    MichaelMc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MrC, I'm not using the converter suite. I'm following instructions here: https://support.1password.com/import-lastpass/ I just tested exporting the data (really just copy/paste) using Firefox instead of Chrome, but the ">" and "<" still get exported as amersand-g-t-; and amersand-l-t-; (no dashes) in passwords.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options

@MichaelMc,

Ok, I guessed incorrectly.

I just used Firefox and exported using the native web method (not the extension), and the data appears correct when it contains < or >

url,username,password,extra,name,grouping,fav
    http://www.example.com,joe@example.com,"xY0'$9aNn\M73k""Z%O<l>6","These are my ""notes"", that contain a
    less than<and
    newline
    åÃèé

The extension on the other hand produces:

url,username,password,extra,name,grouping,fav
    http://www.example.com,joe@example.com,"xY0'$9aNn\M73k""Z%O&lt;l&gt;6","These are my ""notes"", that contain a
    less than&lt;and
    newline
    åÃèé

• MichaelMc
    MichaelMc
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, okay. I just tested the native web method and that works! I was exporting from the extension before, which was causing the problem. Thanks for your help!

• @MichaelMc: Glad MrC was able to help out! Welcome to the family, hope your import went well, and if there's anything else we can do to help, you know where to find us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.