Firefox ESR v52 for 1Password

Options

Now that Firefox Quantum has arrived, I don't like how it appears and may consider going back to Firefox v52 ESR or another browser, pre Firefox 57. There had been issues with regard to code signing previously? Legacy Extensions that worked previously are now being abandoned due to the new WebExtensions architecture.

What is Agilebit's advice?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @wkleem: I will always advise to keep your browser up-to-date. Change is always a pain and we humans don't like to adjust to it. Heck, I still complain about not being able to just navigate folders in Windows Explorer like I used to with Windows 7 even though a) I can technically still do that it's just not the same and b) search in Windows 10 is actually much better. Still, we're a security company and the single, solitary best possible thing you can do for security (besides using 1Password, of course) is keep your software updated. Browsers, operating systems, apps -- all of them improve security over time.

WebExtensions in particular is a huge win for security, not to mention working around interference from anti-malware software and improving the overall reliability of the connection between your 1Password app and the extension. Plus, 1Password requires the WebExtensions architecture now too as of a few versions of the extension back, if memory serves, so it won't work with Firefox 52 anyway. Which browser you choose is entirely up to you, just make sure you're using the latest version of whichever you decide to go with. :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Is WebExtensions even for 1Password 4.6? Some months ago I had to toggle between the NativeMessagingHost and Web Sockets.

• Hi @wkleem,

1Password 4.6.2 for Windows supports Native Messaging, so it can connect to 1Password extensions that use Native Messaging.

1Password extension for Firefox only supports Native Messaging. It is purely a WebExtension and will not work in any Firefox versions that does not support WebExtension, which is Firefox 50 or less.

Firefox 52 ESR support Native Messaging and WebExtension, it should work just fine with 1Password extension. I tested it and it worked fine for 1Password 4 and 6.

Keep in mind that in four months or so (March, 2018), Firefox ESR will be updated to Firefox 59.

WebExtension is a huge win, it also promote extension consistency between Chrome, Firefox and Edge, all of which now uses the WebExtension cross-browser extension standard. It is now only Safari that is out of place and it would be nice if they support WebExtension as well.

This discussion has been closed.