To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Cant figure my secret key

Options
bendistel
bendistel
Community Member

HI there, i (believe i) have a 1password account, i use it on my Mac and iPad Pro with the same master password. However, i want to change my master password, for which i need to login using a Secret Key, which i can't find anywhere.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @bendistel,

Thanks for writing in!

The process of changing your Master Password is a bit different depending on whether you have a 1Password.com subscription account or not - so let's figure that out for sure.

Open up 1Password on your Mac and click 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. Do you see an account listed there?

If not, then you're not currently using a subscription account and you can simply change your Master Password under 1Password > Preferences > Security.

If you are using a 1Password.com subscription account, you can find your Secret Key under your Account there in Preferences.

Let me know if that helps!

• bendistel
    bendistel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your answer! That is a bit of the issue, since i can't find my secret key (if i have one), i can't login online. But when i login on the App and go to settings i don't see an account listed, so i assume i do not have an account. will change the password in the App. Can i start an account while keeping all my current settings?

• Hi @bendistel,

It does indeed sound like you don't have an account. Which would mean you wouldn't have a Secret Key, and also means there's no way for you to sign in online.

If things are working well for you without an account, there's no need for you to switch over to an account. But if you'd like to switch over, we have a guide that helps walk you through the steps that you would need to take. You can find this in our Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account support document.

I hope this helps.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.