Is it possible to re-order attachments in an item's detail view? Item fields?

Options
SVanDee
SVanDee
Community Member

Is it possible to re-order attachments in an item's detail view? I've been deleting and re-entering them but I found "Fixed crash when reordering fields in the item detail view" in Mac Beta release note 4.0 b82 (2013.09.13) so maybe there's a way to re-order them directly.

Same question for re-ordering fields within a section.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Agilebits Accout
Referrer: forum-search:reorder detail?

Comments

• Hi @SVanDee,

There is no way to re-order attachments in the UI. You can re-order custom fields that you add to an item, but you can't re-order attachments.

Re-ordering fields is a matter of dragging them by the drag handle on the right hand side while in edit mode.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the prompt response. I hadn't noticed the drag handles on the fields. Maybe you could add re-ordering attachments to the list of nice things to do someday?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's unlikely since we're focused on 1Password.com which uses Documents, but it's something we'll keep in mind if we do a new local vault format that uses attachments. Cheers! :)

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Now I'm confused. Or make that more confused. I switched to a 1Password "Account" a few weeks ago; i.e., moved my vaults to Agilebits' cloud. Attachments seem to still work the same as they did before so I don't see what you mean about needing a new vault format to use attachments. Do you mean something different by "1Password.com"?

I also don't see how Documents are a replacement for or reduce the need for attachments. I do see that all of my Attachments now show up under Documents too but the Documents view seems pretty useless with no way of organizing or structuring them or linking them to other kinds of items. I still find thinking of them as attachments to associated items more useful. Although it would be nice to be able to be able to reference the same document from more than one Item.

But then, I haven't done a very good job of learning how to use any of the new features in 1P in recent years. When I started about 5 years ago, there were comprehensive, well organized on-line Users Guides for the products. I can't find them any more. Just an apparently random assortment of Knowledge Base articles, videos, blogs, etc. under Support. I usually can't figure out what search terms to use to find the things of interest. For example, searching for "Documents" or "Documents Category" lists articles on command line tools, backups, uninstall, Team members, etc. Nothing at all about what the Documents Category is intended for or what you can do with it.

So I just keep using what I learned way back when until it stops working. When I started, the Users Guides taught me how to add links to Safari's Favorites that opened web pages and filled in login credentials all in one operation. No need to reference 1P or 1P-mini in a separate step. The links are still there and they still open pages but they don't fill in the login fields. I don't know whether that feature has been removed, whether it's replaced by something else, or whether I just need to do something to re-establish the connection between the links and 1P or how to find out so I've just given up using it.

• Ben
    Options

Sorry for the confusion. With 1Password.com “attachments” are now called “Documents” are work entirely differently under the hood, while still being somewhat similar visually to the end user.

We do not have plans currently to improve attachments in standalone vaults.

We do have some thoughts about how we might improve Documents in 1Password.com vaults.

Although it would be nice to be able to be able to reference the same document from more than one Item.

You can do that, at least in 1Password for Mac. Select the “link existing” option under Related Items.

We have indeed shifted from user guides to a knowledge base system. While it is (ideally) more helpful when you know what you’re looking for, it may be less intuitive when wanting to just browse through new features. We’re continuing to evolve that system and are adding new resources to it all the time. While we don’t currently have a guide on Documents, specifically, perhaps we will in the future.

When I started, the Users Guides taught me how to add links to Safari's Favorites that opened web pages and filled in login credentials all in one operation.

This feature is still available. You may need to re-create the links, though.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, now I see how Related Items are more flexible and generally useful than Attachments. Very nice. Thanks for pointing me to them.

Unfortunately, my Safari Favorites that enter username/passwords automatically have been around so long, I've forgotten how to create them. While looking in Support, I learned how to use command-backslash to enter logins which is almost as good but I'd appreciate it if you could point me to an explanation how to create Safari Favorites that do it all with one click.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SVanDee: You can drag a Login to Safari's toolbar from 1Password. We've deemphasized this feature since it can no longer work in many browsers, but it should still work there. Glad you're enjoying the keyboard shortcut! :)

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Yes - Links sign in again! Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. :) Glad to hear that helped. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.