Installing 1Password on new iMac. I have 1Password 6 Version 6.8.4 (684001) AgileBits Store.

Options
CaptainSlocum
CaptainSlocum
Community Member

Where do I find instructions to have 1Password up and running on my new machine? I am not using TimeMachine to transfer as I want a nice clean install on my new machine. Presumably, I have to download 1Password from your site (I bought direct from you, not through Apple store) and then put in my secret key?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:installing on new computer

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CaptainSlocum If you're trying to do a clean install of everything on your new Mac, then yes -- just head over to our downloads page and grab a copy of the latest version (6.8.4) of 1Password for Mac. Install it, and when you launch it for the first time, you should be given options for how to begin if you had previous data. Choose iCloud, and enter your Master Password; you should be back up and running in no time! Don't forget to find your old license for 1Password for Mac and enter it into 1Password > License. Cheers!

• CaptainSlocum
    CaptainSlocum
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Where would I find my licence? Was it sent in an email? How is that different to the secret key?
    Is all the data in the cloud? (I don't have to transfer anything from my old Mac?)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CaptainSlocum: Your license will have been sent via email when you made the purchase, but I've resent it now in case you're having trouble finding it. You will only have data "in the cloud" if you set 1Password up to sync.

The Secret Key is completely different though. This is part of a 1Password.com account, so you will only have one if you signed up for a membership. A license is not in any way connected to your data, but the Secret Key is used along with the Master Password to encrypt the data in a 1Password.com account.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• CaptainSlocum
    CaptainSlocum
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you brenty, that's most helpful. I am pretty sure I set it up to sync to the cloud, and it works fine syncing to my iPhone and iPad, however, when I look at 1Passsword preferences I can see no option there to choose cloud, Dropbox, etc, and when I look in my Apple iCloud and iCloud Drive I can see no mention of 1Password. So I'm still confused! How do I check?

• CaptainSlocum
    CaptainSlocum
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, and sorry, forgot to ask - can I have 1Password set up on both my new and old machines for a short time while I check all is working properly?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CaptainSlocum: Unless you chose to use a 1Password.com account, you will have a "Sync" tab in 1Password Preferences. You can setup sync from there:

Advanced sync options

And if you purchased 1Password for Mac, you're entitled to use it on all of your Macs. It isn't "locked" to a single one. Cheers! :)

• CaptainSlocum
    CaptainSlocum
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have a sync tab. Does that mean I have a 1Password.com membership? How can I tell if I have that or a subscription? Everything works on my iOS devices so I guess everything syncs to the cloud? But I can't change that? (not that I want to). Sorry for seeming so confused. But 1Password is so vital to my work I get a bit paranoid. I have over 600 logins to manage and can't imagine life without it.

Anyway, it seems you have answered my last question, I can use it on my old machine while I set up the new one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CaptainSlocum: Yep! 1Password.com accounts don't have any sync settings, so you won't have any in the app if that's all you're using. It's possible to use local vaults at the same time, but it's not something we recommend since it's not as seamless and experience, you'd have to back them up yourself, and it can be just plain confusing.

And no worries: I know exactly how you feel, having so much important stuff in 1Password myself. So if there's anything I can do to help you with it, I'm happy to do so. Let me know if you have any questions at all! :)

This discussion has been closed.