I want to use 1Password on my new iPad but... (arghhh!!!)

Options
rlf
rlf
Community Member
edited November 2017 in iOS

I currently use 1P on my MBP, my iPhone, and an older iPad. I sync everything to Dropbox and this has always worked fine. I just purchased a new iPad and downloaded 1P and I guess it's a new version 7. It says "Already using 1Password?" I don't sync it with iCloud so I clicked 1Password.com. Now it's trying to force me to sign up for a subscription. I don't want a subscription. I bought a license and have a key and I want to use that. So how do I use my license to sign in at https://my.1password.com/signin? And what do I do then? I've read these instructions and they make no sense. What do I do? I just want to use 1P on my new iPad.

I've become so disenchanted with AgileBits. Using 1P used to be a breeze. Now it's horrendously complicated. BTW, my colleagues who use it all agree!

UPDATE

The page I referred to said the following: "If you purchased 1Password as a standalone app without a membership, then you don’t have a Secret Key, and you don’t need to sign in when you open the app. To register the Mac or Windows app, look up your license." So I looked up my license and received an email "1Password 6 for Mac." I forwarded that (Gmail) email to my Mac email so that I could open it on the new iPad. When I did that and clicked on the "Click here to Apply your 1Password License", it just showed a file icon with a long path name -...-onepassword.license but nothing else happened. The license wasn't applied to 1Password 7. This is so confusing. :-(

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 101.0
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlf: While purchasing 1Password for Mac version 6 entitles you to use that version, it does not include 1Password for iOS or the others (that actually isn't even possible, as they are separate stores). They are each a separate purchase in that case. A 1Password.com membership is the only way to get the latest version of all of the apps at once (along with many other benefits).

If you haven't signed up for a 1Password.com membership though (and don't want to), don't choose "1Password.com". You can sync your data from another device or create a new standalone vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I looked on my old iPad and I actually have a 1Password Pro running on it that I must have purchased through the App Store. When I tried to download it by hitting the "cloud download" icon, I got a message saying "1Password Pro Needs To Be Updated...." so I clicked "Delete." Nothing appeared to be updated though as no other icon appeared indicating that something else was installed in its place. Does this mean I have to download the latest version 7 from the App Store? If I do, can I then pay a one-time-only price for the app and store my password database on iCloud instead of paying a monthly fee for a 1Password.com account? The only options I'm seeing here are for a $3.99 monthly membership and a $35.99 annual membership which appears really outlandish to me. AB is essentially trying to force me to re-buy the app (at a very costly price) every year.

That was the nice thing about the previous business model. It was affordable because you'd buy the app once and then buy an upgraded version every two or three years. Now you want us to just buy the app over and over again every year. And frankly, I'm not seeing the benefit. You say you're adding new features but most of them are features we don't need. It's just "feature-itis;" you add new features, even though they're not necessary, in order to justify making us pay more. In the meantime, the applications just become bigger and slower and more complicated to use. You have to realize that, from a consumer point of view, everyone and their mother wants a piece of our paycheck every month now and it's getting to the point where we just can't afford it. And we don't want to pay it for big, bloated apps. (By the way Brenty, I don't mean you personally, you're just doing your job.) Frankly, I'd be happy to buy the app once, and they pay something extra every year just to keep you guys in business and maintaining the app instead of making it bigger and more complicated and harder to use. Sorry for the rant but this is really upsetting. I've been a 1P customer for I don't know how many years and I feel like I'm getting the shaft. Please forward this comment to the managers there because, as I said in my first question, all my friends at work who use 1P are saying the same thing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thank you. I looked on my old iPad and I actually have a 1Password Pro running on it that I must have purchased through the App Store. When I tried to download it by hitting the "cloud download" icon, I got a message saying "1Password Pro Needs To Be Updated...." so I clicked "Delete." Nothing appeared to be updated though as no other icon appeared indicating that something else was installed in its place.

@rlf: You're welcome! That's correct. It sounds like you're using iOS 11 and you're referring to 1Password 3. That's a 32-bit app we made in 2009, and iOS 11 only supports 64-bit apps, so it will not work there.

Does this mean I have to download the latest version 7 from the App Store? If I do, can I then pay a one-time-only price for the app and store my password database on iCloud instead of paying a monthly fee for a 1Password.com account? The only options I'm seeing here are for a $3.99 monthly membership and a $35.99 annual membership which appears really outlandish to me. AB is essentially trying to force me to re-buy the app (at a very costly price) every year.

To be clear, when you buy one version of 1Password, that doesn't include all other work we do in perpetuity. If we did that we'd end up like the many other 1Password clones that have popped up on the App Store over the years, which are now abandoned with no compatible version for iOS 11. You can purchase the Pro features upgrade for 1Password for iOS as in in-app purchase if that's the only thing you need.

That was the nice thing about the previous business model. It was affordable because you'd buy the app once and then buy an upgraded version every two or three years. Now you want us to just buy the app over and over again every year. And frankly, I'm not seeing the benefit. You say you're adding new features but most of them are features we don't need. It's just "feature-itis;" you add new features, even though they're not necessary, in order to justify making us pay more. In the meantime, the applications just become bigger and slower and more complicated to use. You have to realize that, from a consumer point of view, everyone and their mother wants a piece of our paycheck every month now and it's getting to the point where we just can't afford it. And we don't want to pay it for big, bloated apps. (By the way Brenty, I don't mean you personally, you're just doing your job.) Frankly, I'd be happy to buy the app once, and they pay something extra every year just to keep you guys in business and maintaining the app instead of making it bigger and more complicated and harder to use. Sorry for the rant but this is really upsetting. I've been a 1P customer for I don't know how many years and I feel like I'm getting the shaft. Please forward this comment to the managers there because, as I said in my first question, all my friends at work who use 1P are saying the same thing.

I hear you. They don't seem slower to me, and I'm not running new hardware. But I get what you're saying. Certainly if none of the many benefits of a 1Password.com membership appeal to you and you only need 1Password for iOS, I agree that it may seem expensive. You probably backup all of your data regularly like I do, perhaps because you've made the same mistakes I have and learned from them, losing data in the past. But most people don't backup their data, and only care once they've lost it because their iPhone went for a swim.

A subscription may seem expensive when compared directly to a one time purchase for a mobile app, but for those of us storing important, often irreplaceable data in 1Password, having it automatically backed up offsite for the cost of a drink every month is a game changer. For example, if 1Password.com had existed back in the 1Password 3 days, you or anyone who'd chosen that option wouldn't have to worry about migrating your data to the new version at all; it would already be in your account — never mind that you'd have had the latest version all along so that wouldn't even be necessary. I only wish that the people contacting us now who have put off migrating their data in the face of warnings from iOS and 1Password had had such an option. As it stands, many have data trapped in the old app which cannot function after upgrading to iOS 11.

Now, I agree that someone who uses 1Password on a ton of devices will get more obvious benefits — all of the apps, always the latest, and never having to worry about sync or licensing — whereas someone using it only on an iPhone won't care about sync or licensing...until they have to send it in for repairs. And being able to sign in and access their data on the old Android phone they have lying around without skipping a beat is a lifesaver in that case — to say nothing of how they'd be up a creek without a paddle in that scenario if they were just syncing with iCloud (and I'm not making this up). I don't quite understand what there is to be upset about given that we still offer both options. And ultimately, it's all about choices: depending on your situation and what you value, one or the other will be a better fit, and you can decide. That doesn't seem so bad to me. :)

This discussion has been closed.