1Password High Sierra Issues - Browser Extensions, Lock Delays, 1Password Mini

sjclark
sjclark
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Mac

The Browser Extensions for both Chrome and Firefox will not open the 1Password Browser Widget (Mini?) unless 1Password is open in the background. There is no error, nor is anything logged in console (browser or system). Selecting 1Password on either the Right-Click Menu or the browser toolbar does nothing.

Have tried uninstalling & reinstalling extensions.

Additionally the "Lock after computer is idle for (5) minutes" function does not work. It will always demand logging back in.

Both of the above problems persist with or without TouchID activated.

"Show Mini App Icon in the Menu Bar" also only briefly flashes the icon - the 1Password Mini Application does not persist.

From a guess I would assume all the problems above would related to the non-persistence of 1Password Mini on High Sierra?

I have also tried Repairing Attributes from the 1Password Troubleshooting App.

Diagnostic Report Support ID Reference: #PBN-96887-317

Any help greatly appreciated :p

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90 (Firefox 57.0)
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• sjclark
    sjclark
    Community Member

Trying to seek help but my thread has been deleted without any reasoning? Or any contact?
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/84341/1password-high-sierra-issues-browser-extensions-lock-delays-1password-mini#latest

I'm not particularly keen to type out the entire issue again; I had documented it extremely well....

Support Reference [#PBN-96887-317]

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sjclark: Sorry for the trouble and confusion there! You were caught in the spam filter since you didn't verify your forum account. We've done that now along with un-spamming your post since you also contacted us separately via email using the same address.

I'll give some general suggestions here in case it helps others, but I'll also reply via email so we can work there and exchange any additional details as needed. I'm not sure what you mean by "the non-persistence of 1Password Mini on High Sierra", but if you mean you don't have 1Password mini running at all that will likely be the problem, since it does normally run on High Sierra. Good call on reinstalling the extensions, but if mini is not running they will have nothing to connect to.

I appreciate the other details, but they aren't involved with browser integration; only 1Password mini and the extensions are. Anyway, I'll take a look and get back to you via email shortly. :)

ref: PBN-96887-317

• sjclark
    sjclark
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Hi @brenty - I also had the run around with your account verification sending me in circles.... kept telling me I needed to verify but then when I clicked the verify link it would tell me I was already verified - a few different error messages (didn't want to confuse this thread by adding all the screenshots of that in too).

When I said the non-persistence I was assuming that in order to achieve it's functionality across the browsers & such there must be some sort of background Daemon or Service running to intercept the requests? The only thing I have running in the background is OnePasswordNativeMessageHost?

On my previous computer the 1Password mini application runs in the background even after quitting 1Password?

Thanks for your response - look forward to hearing from you =)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi @brenty - I also had the run around with your account verification sending me in circles.... kept telling me I needed to verify but then when I clicked the verify link it would tell me I was already verified - a few different error messages (didn't want to confuse this thread by adding all the screenshots of that in too).

Thanks for letting me know. I'd love to get a screenshot so we can investigate. Can you send that by replying to Rob's email?

When I said the non-persistence I was assuming that in order to achieve it's functionality across the browsers & such there must be some sort of background Daemon or Service running to intercept the requests? The only thing I have running in the background is OnePasswordNativeMessageHost?

Yeah, you should have 1Password (mini) running in the background. That's what makes it all work: the menu bar icon (which is, in truth, 1Password) and integration with browsers.

On my previous computer the 1Password mini application runs in the background even after quitting 1Password? Thanks for your response - look forward to hearing from you =)

Gotcha. That sounds to be the problem then if that isn't working for you after upgrading to High Sierra. Let's continue the conversation via email and get to the bottom of this. :)

• sjclark
    sjclark
    Community Member

@brenty just had a (another) restart and toggled all the 1Password Mini settings on and off again. All of the above problems seem to be fixed now.

It would seem that all the problems were caused by 1Password Mini not being open? If 1Password Mini is critical to many of the functions of 1Password would it not make sense to have warnings that disabling it will affect login timeouts and browser extension functionality?

Or at the least coming up with an error message in the browser if you try to use and extension without Mini open?

ACTUALLY: Just tried turning that option back off and it came up with the exact warning I suggested. Only thing I can think of is that setting toggle must'nt have carried across from my other computer? I can't imagine disabling Mini with a warning like that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty just had a (another) restart and toggled all the 1Password Mini settings on and off again. All of the above problems seem to be fixed now.

Ah...I literally just emailed you to try that. Nice! :lol: It sounds like something weird happened to your preferences during the upgrade — though that's the first I've heard of that happening with 1Password.

It would seem that all the problems were caused by 1Password Mini not being open? If 1Password Mini is critical to many of the functions of 1Password would it not make sense to have warnings that disabling it will affect login timeouts and browser extension functionality?

Many people just prefer to open the main 1Password app (which will also run mini). If you want to be able to use 1Password in the browser without opening the main window though, you'll need to set "Always keep 1Password mini running".

Or at the least coming up with an error message in the browser if you try to use and extension without Mini open?

Unfortunately this isn't something we can detect from the browser; either 1Password is there to connect to or it isn't.

ACTUALLY: Just tried turning that option back off and it came up with the exact warning I suggested. Only thing I can think of is that setting toggle must'nt have carried across from my other computer? I can't imagine disabling Mini with a warning like that?

Ohhh, maybe so. If you'd transferred data from another computer it's possible that wasn't carried over properly. Migration is usually pretty awesome, but exactly how it works is a mystery to us. :blush:

• sjclark
    sjclark
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for your help - I just completely uninstalled 1Password with AppCleaner and re-did the whole process I used to migrate from my old computer and can't replicate it - clearly I'm losing my mind.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't think it's you. It seems like something went wrong with the migration, but I'm glad you were able to get things working normally again.

Just a quick word of warning in case it helps anyone though: we recommend not using "cleaner" apps to remove 1Password since that will delete your data too. In this case that didn't matter since you had your data somewhere else too, but I'd hate for anyone to destroy the only copy of their data that way.

This discussion has been closed.