Request: Pinned discussions for Beta features

Options

Since we dont have a dedicated 1Password Teams Beta forum, and given that there are so few Beta features, it could be helpful to have pinned threads for each feature. A place for you to share with us the 'status' of a beta feature, and timeline that it will be deprecated and then removed, or perhaps re-assurance of if and for how long something is likely to stay.

I'm hoping there could be one about Duo Security. I've come to rely heavily on its functionality in a few organizations. Having it disappear into a puff of smoke as Brent implied it could in another thread is pretty disturbing.

I noticed this as a beta feature: "Create reports on your team members’ item usage". What is 'item usage' in this case? Is it just the 'filter by type', and 'filter by actor' options in the activity log that this is referring to, or am I missing something? It seems to imply us being able to generate or see a report, and not just the activity log, on how/when a user is interacting with a credential/file/whatever type of entry they're touching in 1Password Teams.

So, what you say 1Password. If we cant have a forum, could we give us one or more pinned topics and be more pro-active with us about communicating the status of beta features?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DariusR: It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it would see much use since we don't discuss timelines or future plans publicly for the most part. I also don't think it makes a lot of sense to documenting beta features. Once they are no longer beta, and less in flux, blog posts and support articles are really useful though. :)

Regarding item usage, that's actually a really good example because it's still at an early stage. So we'll be adding more there. Is there a specific feature you're looking for?

I'm hoping there could be one about Duo Security. I've come to rely heavily on its functionality in a few organizations. Having it disappear into a puff of smoke as Brent implied it could in another thread is pretty disturbing.

Can you please clarify? :lol:

• @DariusR: The Item Usage report is available by going to a person's detail page, and choosing "Create Report" from the button under their name. It lets you see which items from the shared vaults (the vaults that both you and they have access to) that they've used. This would let you know what you need to rotate in the event that you need to suspend or delete the user from the account.

Regarding beta features... we've been doing a suboptimal job of communicating things around beta features, and soliciting feedback on those features. Typically we put a feature into beta because we aren't 100% sure about it either as an idea, or as an implementation. Sometimes it's something that we think is really cool, but we aren't sure if it'll work out in the real world. Getting feedback from you about what you like and what you don't like about any features, but especially the beta features, is hugely valuable. I don't think we need pinned posts for it, you're welcome to start up a conversation thread on the forum or email us at any time.

Duo has been in beta for a long time now. We originally put it in beta because we weren't quite convinced that it was a feature that people really wanted, and our original implementation felt a little "bolted on" so to speak. What we've found out is that Duo is pretty popular and people seem to like it. I think that in the context of 1Password Teams, something like that makes sense. I'm less convinced that it works for 1Password Families or the individual accounts. A few months ago we completely redid the implementation of Duo within 1Password Teams and we're much happier with it now. I think you'll like where we want to go with it.

While I can't promise that we'd do this with every feature... for something as important as Duo, if we were going to rip it out I'm pretty sure we'd reach out to all team owners who have it enabled to give them a heads up. Some of you rely on it for additional security, and we wouldn't want that to change without you being made aware of it.

Rick

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion Regarding Duo, this is really reassuring to read. For the needs of the companies I've integrated it for, Teams in its current form is not viable without it. This isn't just coming from me, it's coming from the people who run the organizations where I have staked my professional reputation on it. My position on this might change when there is more robust Access Control baked into Teams.

As your solutions become more popular, the community of people and organizations relying on it as critical infrastructure will only grow. Having a more refined and pro-active approach to Beta feature communications, testing, and feedback will only play in your favor.

I'm here not only because of what the platform is and how it has been developed. More critically, I'm hedging my bets on this solution because of the potential I see in what it could become and because of what you've prioritized in your cloud development.

You're doing something better than most cloud password management provider have, in my opinion, but there's a long way to go.

• @DariusR : Agreed on all points. I'd love to hear about what you have in mind for more robust Access Control.

Rick

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I'll mull over the different use cases and constraint I've faced over the years while consulting and post my reflections here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/84322/access-control-for-teams#latest

Its perhaps relevant to give context to where I'm approaching this all from:

I've run the gamut of password manager integrations. My go-to 'pre cloud platform ubiquity' has been Keepass, which I've been using since around 2005.

For years, I was coaching business owners on how to use this. No small feat..

Eventually I was integrating Keepass with SpiderOak for client side encrypted cloud synchronization, allowing small companies to share the same database across devices and have a secure backup if something went wrong. This solved for Backups and sudo-sharing but had huge caveats as well.

Over the years I investigated Dashlane, Meldium, PasswordBox (and the garbage that Intel released after the take over), Zohos Password Manager, Roboforms, LastPass, and 1Password in its different iterations.

Primary to 1Password Teams, the only solution I ultimately risked deploying for an organization (a medium size non-profit) was LastPass Enterprise. It was moderately successful but that platform is a nightmare to use and to train non-technically minded people to securely administer.

In ten years of supporting organizations as a technology consultant, instituting secure and robust password security and management has been the single greatest challenge above all others.

If any of my experience can help shape Teams for the better, I want nothing more than to help.

• Sounds good. Thanks for taking the time to do that. It means a lot to us.

Rick

• DariusR
    DariusR
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion Added a very wordy edit after your responded

• @DariusR : thanks.

The power vs ease of use for administration is something that we're constantly thinking about. If only we could talk about all of the things we've designed then thrown away because we couldn't get them simple enough to be usable. We keep at it though.

We love hearing that there are people like you that are helping organizations get started with a password manager. Obviously we want to make 1Password itself as good as it can be, but if ever there's other things we could provide you with (like better documentation, guides, video tours, etc...) to make that easier, please do let us know.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.