Why 1Password suddenly requires manual input of password instead of fingerprint

Marbuel
Marbuel
Community Member

Hi,

i have a short question. Normally on my iphone i can always sign in via fingerprint. There was never the need to sign in via manual input of my master password since i had activated fingerprint. But today the application wants me to manually put in the password instead of using my fingerprint. Is there any reason for this behavior? For example a time limit has expired or something like this? There was no update from the last sign in via fingerprint and today.

Thank you for your help.

Greetings
Marbuel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Marbuel: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Depending on your settings there could be a time limit, but also if you update iOS or make changes to your Touch ID settings that will clear it. You'll need to enter your Master Password again before you can use Touch ID to unlock. Does that sound like what you've experienced?

• Marbuel
    Marbuel
    Community Member

Thank you for your answer. The reason im asking is that I got worried i might have been manipulated by something or someone. Im sure there was no update of the iOS or the 1Password app. And in the settings i set the time of expire for the fingerprint to "never". Therefor i was a little confused since there was no plausible reason for me why the app is requesting the Master Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Marbuel: Thanks for clarifying. The other case where you'll be asked for the Master Password is if you dismissed it (can be brought up again using the "fingerprint" icon), or after a few failed Touch ID attempts (requires Master Password to enable Touch ID again) — sort of like your iPhone's lock screen requiring the passcode after failed attempts, which happens to me all the time since I touch it inadvertently. So certainly if someone without Touch ID access setup on your iPhone tried to unlock 1Password using Touch ID it would require the Master Password due to failures there. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.