Question about WLAN syncing

Options
vels
vels
Community Member

Ive 1password running on my mac and on my iphone and ipad (both latest versions of the app), which ive just setup sync to via the WLAN option. Will my iOS devices automaticly sync when on the same network as my mac, or do i have to manually "click sync".

Also is WLAN secure ?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.4 (684000) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: wlan

Comments

• Hi @vels,

Those are great questions.

Will my iOS devices automaticly sync when on the same network as my mac, or do i have to manually "click sync"

If both instances of 1Password are unlocked, then sync should happen automatically. Sync can only happen while 1Password is unlocked. Generally if you want them to sync you'll just need to make sure you unlock both and they'll take care of it from there. The "Sync Now" button on 1Password for iOS should really never be necessary, but is there for when you want to force it to happen.

Also is WLAN secure?

If we didn't think it was secure, we would remove it as a sync option.

WLAN sync has different properties than other sync types. The biggest difference is that it works entirely over a local network as opposed to requiring internet access. It provides security via two ways. All network traffic between the Mac and the iPhone is encrypted with a key derived from the transport secret (the code you need to enter into the iPhone during WLAN sync setup). This protects the traffic from being inspected and analyzed. But beyond that, the data that's shuttled back and forth during sync is encrypted with a key derived from your Master Password on your Mac. So as long as you have a strong Master Password, it's very secure.

There's a lot to like about WLAN sync. If it's a good match for what you're looking to do, then I think that's great. Unfortunately WLAN sync relies on local routers behaving correctly and Bonjour Networking, and for some users this can cause problems where it becomes unreliable. We have a great troubleshooting guide that can help you through most common problems: https://support.1password.com/wlan-server-troubleshooting/

I hope this helps.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.