Is there a comprehensive feature comparison of 1Pwd macOS vs. 1Pwd Windows?

Options
maelcum
maelcum
Community Member
edited November 2017 in Mac

Hello.

Allow me to explain why I am asking for a feature comparison:
I have been using 1Password on Macs since over 10 years now and a lot has changed since then. I have contiuously added entries and also used new features like custom fields, custom icons, moving lines up and down etc. etc. when they became available, sometime rearranging a zillion entries. Not all of that went smoothly, but I invested the time and patience to sort things out. As I see it, that was no wasted time since 1Password has been one of the marvels of the Mac software world. It's simply indispensable for me. After having spend weeks of lifetime (over the years) in painstakingly hand-grooming the entries, I am anxious to loose anything.

Why anxious? Well... I will (have to) switch away from macOS to Windows 10. Thus, I need to migrate my 1Password database with as little loss as possible.
The first migration attempts about two years ago were disastrous. I am sorry I can't find a more gentle word for the result. I can't even remember what has been lost in the test, but it was more lost that ever arrived on the other end. I even considered changing to yet-another-password-saving-service, though I could not find a worthy alternative.
I've repeated the tests every half a year or so, and things are looking better and better. Sometimes though, I forget to test the one or the other feature and it bites me in the back a week later when I realise that.

tl;dr
A table where I could exactly see what macOS feature is available in Windows and which not, would make my own tests much easier.

_1Password Version: macOS: 6.8.4 (684001) Win: 6.7.457
_Extension Version: unimportant
_OS Version: macOS 10.12.6 Win: 10 rel. 1709
_Sync Type: 1Password-Cloud-Thing

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @maelcum,

While we do not have such a table I can tell you that if you use a 1Password.com membership all of your data will be accessible on both Mac & Windows. There are no differences in features that would prevent you from accessing all of your 1Password data from either platform. You can also view all of your data from the 1Password.com web interface.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Ben

• maelcum
    maelcum
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Ben,

thanks for the quick answer. It is not as easy as that, though.

Your answer suggests that there are no differences between the macOS and Windows version of 1Passwort. But there have been and there still are. For ex custom icons of software application still don't sync.

As a customer that needs to migrate from one platform to another I need to know what will work and what not. As I have explained, I have done a lot of tests and sometimes I am overlooking something only to fall on my nose later in the process.
    From my point of view such an overview would only be honest and helpful for everybody in the same situation.
    Although I can see somebody might use it to ask you all sorts of questions why this is not working and when that will be implemented. But then, you have a lot of boilerplate answers for that type of question.

Ok: Since agilebits is unhelpful, is there anybody in the community that came across this type of problem and has done something they would like to share?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your answer suggests that there are no differences between the macOS and Windows version of 1Passwort. But there have been and there still are. For ex custom icons of software application still don't sync.

@maelcum: No, that's not what Ben said. This is what he said:

There are no differences in features that would prevent you from accessing all of your 1Password data from either platform. You can also view all of your data from the 1Password.com web interface.

You're right. There are differences between the 1Password apps on all platforms, but...

From my point of view such an overview would only be honest and helpful for everybody in the same situation.

To be honest, if we spend time on that, it takes away from doing a lot of other things — like answering questions and improving 1Password. And nobody is in the same situation. 1Password is always changing everywhere, so creating such a list would be a fool's errand. So we think it's best to answer the questions people actually ask instead of trying to maintain a spreadsheet of all of 1Password's features, across 6 different apps, which are constantly in flux. :(

Ok: Since agilebits is unhelpful, is there anybody in the community that came across this type of problem and has done something they would like to share?

Without being rude, why not ask about the features you're looking for? I'll be happy to tell you the status, but without knowing the specifics about what you have in mind I'd just be guessing. I don't think it's fair to say Ben is "unhelpful" because he wasn't able to read your mind. I use 1Password for Windows daily, so it is second nature to me, and so I couldn't give you that kind of vaguely-defined feature list; but when asked about something specific I'm sure I can help. :blush:

• maelcum
    maelcum
    Community Member
    Options

That was rude.
    "Thanks for the lecture". I am sorry I did not find the correct way to express myself, maybe because that is a foreign language. Nevertheless I feel aggravated and put off by your answer - and I assume that is exactly what you intended. Well, you got what you wanted. I will certainly not ask anything again that can be put off by a boilerplate answer.

But as you are so nitpicky about each sentence, let me be that as well:

• I did not call Ben directly unhelpful.
    • Answering a question that might be asked multiple times does take off working on other things, but it might pay off for all the others that are challenged with migration. You can phrase it as you did, but that is not the only way to see it. It is the most paternalizing one, though.
    • I stated what I wanted (from mac to win) not across six different implementations.

Now I am off to my "fools errant", fool that I am seem to be for trying to figure out what works before a migration without fallback.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @maelcum,

First of all, I just wanted to thank you for being a long-time user of 1Password. It's so wonderful to hear that you find the app indispensable!

Now, let's take a step back here. You mention that you're using 1Password's cloud sync to move your data between your Mac and your Windows PC, is that correct? With a 1Password account, your data should look virtually the same, no matter which device you're viewing it on. I've checked with our Windows development team (because I'm primarily Mac/iOS myself) and they assure me that custom fields should be retained correctly. Are you seeing something different?

You mention performing a migration. If you're using a 1Password account, accessing your data in Windows should be as simple as signing in to your 1Password account. Could you tell me a bit more about the process that you're using?

• maelcum
    maelcum
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Megan,

Thank you for your answer. I would like to explain in detail what I am trying to achieve. Although I do not want to let you wait, to do so, I need a little more time to make sure the vocabulary is correct. :blush: Please be patient with me. Thanks in advance. :)

• Ben
    Options

Okay :)

Ben

• maelcum
    maelcum
    Community Member
    Options

On second though and after having written a lengthy reply which copies most of what I wrote in the first post, I came to the conclusion that there is really no sense in going further in this thread.

As I said, I want to migrate from Mac to Windows. I've done that in the past with various degrees of success using the free 1Password cloud service. I do not have a checklist which in hindsight I should have been doing from day one, as well as a protocol of what worked and what not. But then - who knew this would be such a bumpy road. This checklist was, what I came here to search for - and were brushed of rudely and insulted as fool by brenty.

As nice as Megans post is, she fixates on one of the examples that were a problem in the past, trying to help me there. That is not necessary, it was just an example. I do not have a comprehensive list of failures, and as I pointed out. I was looking for a checklist. Remember, thats why I came here.

• @maelcum: An exhaustive list is hard for anyone. We all use 1Password a bit differently and a feature you find indispensable may be one I've never used just because it doesn't fit anywhere in my personal workflow. Still, I think I can share one tidbit that will help. No matter what platforms you use 1Password on, any data you've added to your items will be retained even if it isn't displayed. I'll go back to your custom icon example, just as a means to illustrate. While 1Password 6 for Windows doesn't currently support custom icons (except in beta), your custom icon data is still hanging out in your database on the server waiting to be able to be used and will stay there even if you stop using 1Password for Mac entirely. Once the current Windows beta goes stable and you install the update that includes custom icons, those icons will start showing up on Windows as though they've always been there (because technically, they have). So when you're talking about "failures," those won't really exist with 1Password.com. Things may look a bit different across devices, but all of the data that makes up that item you see on your Mac is there on the server. It's just waiting for other devices to update so that they can show it all to you. We're always working towards a more unified experience across platforms, of course, and while differences in the various operating systems do mean we'll likely never reach the point where the apps all look exactly the same, they are getting closer every day. :chuffed:

All of that said, I totally understand if you don't want to put together an exhaustive list of what you're wondering about. After all, we don't have a list of differences handy and I'd hardly expect you to either. On the other hand, if you do have questions about a specific features as you continue using 1Password for Windows, always feel free to come back and ask about them. We may not have a list in our heads, but we can always do some testing to figure out the differences, even if we can't recall them off the tops of our heads. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.