Changed behavior of custom icons in 1Password 6.8.4

Options
Terylon
Terylon
Community Member

Hello.

From the beginning I used custom icons in 1Password.
The image size I paste is 600x600 px to have good results on the Retina display.

With the updated version of 1Password (6.8.4 from the Mac App Store) the saved icons will be displayed blurred in the main window. Please refer to the picture:

As you see, there is no difference in the list view.

Both icons where pasted at different times.

I kindly ask you to left the custom icons as they are to have best results also on retina displays.
In my database are more than 300 entries with custom icons and I spend much time to have a perfect data base.

Thank you very much in advance!
Regards, Dirk

I love 1Password. Thank you for the continuous updates!

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Terylon: Thanks for reaching out, but I'm not sure I follow. I'm not seeing changes here, but certainly the images will need to be resized for display, since icons are not being shown at 600x600 in the app. Can you be more specific about what you're referring to, and perhaps provide some examples?

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Brenty. Thank you for your reply. Maybe you will see the difference only on a Retina display. The big icon on top is blurry (not sharp), referred to the one below. It is not like day and night, but on a retina really ugly. ;-)

With version 6.8.4 every pasted custom icon looks blurry in the main window.

Here are some icons changed in November 2017:

For the company "real" I added the original to see the difference.

I hope, 1Password will not resize the icons to much after pasting it.

Regards, Dirk

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Terylon: I'm using a 15" Retina MacBook Pro. I'm seeing a difference in "real", but that seems to be the only example. Are you saying if you revert to the previous version of 1Password for Mac that you're seeing something different? The icons there, if you're pasting 1:1, are different sizes it's easy to tell from the letters). 1Password will always resize them to fit the allotted space.

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty.

I am happy that you see a difference in real. You can't see a difference in the yellow German post icons in my first post? I wonder.

It's easy: I expect a non blurred icon in the main window, as it worked before one of the last updates.

I didn't restore the 1Password app from my time machine backup. And I don't want it. :-)

It seems, 1Password resized the icons a little bit to much on my Mac. Could you check it with your version of 1Password? I have attached the original 600 px file.

Thanks a lot for your kind help.

• I can't think of any changes in 6.8.x that would affect this, but I'm a little removed from that side of things these days.

Like Brenty I had trouble seeing differences here, that is until I moved my browser window to my Retina display (my primary display is still a Thunderbolt display, in all of its large pixel glory). Then I could see a difference.

I assume you're using a 1Password.com vault to get these results? The custom icons would likely look worse than what you're showing here if you were using local vaults. Images that are passed to 1Password are resized to 256x256 if larger, before being encoded to png and encrypted. I suspect that what you're seeing is the effect of the resize, which will tend to blur things a little.

Rick

• Hrmm.. what I said still wouldn't account for the differences you're seeing.

It's possible that an OS update/upgrade could affect this as well. We use system functions to do the resize. I wonder if maybe that has had an effect. I just did a search through our bug tracker to see if i could find anything related to this that's been changed relatively recently and I'm not seeing anything.

Rick

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick. thats a little bit mystic.
    I choose 600 px pictures because I use the same icons for my address book on the Mac and iPhone.
    Tomorrow I will try it with 256 px and I will check if there is an effect or not.
    Dirk

• Good idea. Looking forward to hearing about the results of that.

Rick

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

Test 1.

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

Test 2a.

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

Test 2b.

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

3+1 tests. All results in blurry icons in 1Password.

1: Source: 256 x 256 px from Photoshop via Clipboard to 1Password.

Blurry picture in 1Password

2a: Source: 256 x 256 px without background from Photoshop via Clipboard to 1Password.

Icon will fitted to full width, ignoring the height of the picture

2b: Source: 256 x 256 px with background from Photoshop via Clipboard to 1Password.

Blurry picture in 1Password

I repeated test #1 by dragging the icon file (both 256 & 600 px) to 1Password, instead of the clipboard, but the result is the same.

Dirk

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Terylon: Thanks so much for the additional details — and examples! I'm going to check around to see if we've made some change here that could have impacted this. If we're letting the OS handle the image processing though it may be due to changes there. We'll investigate this further.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Terylon: I've done some more testing with this and filed a bug report. All of this is working as intended, but I agree that there's room for improvement here with regard to how custom icons are handled. Thanks again for your feedback on this!

ref: OPM-5538

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I love this software and I hope to have fun a very long time with it. Regards, Dirk

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Terylon - you're quite welcome! Thanks for the observations and research, and keep an eye on the updates; that's where you'd see changes to this behavior first -- especially if you enable the beta channels (Preferences > Updates > Include beta builds). Cheers! :)

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

Dear @Lars - It seems that the problem is not solved until today.

Left hand the icon in Photoshop, right hand the screenshot from 1Password. Any idea how to paste the icons in retina quality again?

Kind regards, Dirk

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@Terylon: This isn't something that will change in 1Password 6 due to the image libraries we're using there, but it's something we hope to address in a future version. Thanks for your feedback on this!

ref: apple-556

This discussion has been closed.