What Constitutes a Family Member?

Options
mhosborn
mhosborn
Community Member

As a long-time 1PW user who just upgraded to the Family plan today, I'm trying to decide on how best to set up other members of the family.

As an example, my wife has a Windows PC at work (with just her work email installed), a Windows 10 laptop with both her home and work email addresses on it, an iPhone, and an iPad. I (obviously!) want to add her to the 1PW family, but am wondering if her work PC would constitute 1 family member, and her Windows 10 laptop would constitute another family member, as her work PC would be under a different email address than the rest of her devices?

So, if the Family plan includes up to 5 members, would my wife use two of them, or just one?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13.1
Sync Type: 1PW

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

With 1Password for Families you can use it on as many devices as you/your family members own.

Even if your wife has 6 devices (1 Work Windows PC, 1 Home Windows PC, 1 MacBook Pro, 1 iPhone, 1 iPad and 1 Android phone) she'll still only consume one of your licence slots.

• The amount of devices 1Password is installed upon is irrelevant.
    • The licence slots are determined by each unique user / email address
  • mhosborn
    mhosborn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I thought licenses might be based on the email address, but couldn't find out for sure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mhosborn: Thanks for reaching out about this! Good call. 1Password Teams actually has a feature to restrict invites to a set domain (for example, @yourcompany.tld).

It's true that, in most cases, each family member will have one account of their own. That's perfectly fine. And, frankly, who you consider part of your family is entirely up to! So each person will use a single "user slot" in your account.

However, I know that some people do choose to use more than one "slot" for themselves, so they can have separate accounts to keep business stuff out of their personal account. And others have used a "slot" for a "communal" account for things like a family/media PC. It's really just a matter of preference.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.