Automated way to add license

Options
jason_worthen
jason_worthen
Community Member

I am building a script that automates the rebuilding of my iMac. I do this every 6 months or so to make sure I have a clean install without any bloat or unnecessary "noise". Is there any way to automatically add the license to 1Password after I install the application?

Thanks!
Jason

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.8.4
OS Version: macOS 10.13.1
Sync Type: Client

Comments

• @jason_worthen,

If you have the license in your vault, it will automatically add it when you open that vault in 1Password for the first time after a clean install.

Rudy

• jason_worthen
    jason_worthen
    Community Member
    Options

Rudy, I have a username and a key -- I don't have a license file. Can I create one somehow?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jason_worthen: Ah, thanks for clarifying. It sounds like you have a 1Password.com account. Is that the case? If so, you won't have a license at all. it also would be a pretty terrible idea to treat your account credentials like license and have them stored insecurely somewhere you could access them to automate setting up the app. But you can use your Setup Code to easily fill most of your credentials (you will need to enter your Master Password):

https://support.1password.com/add-account/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jason_worthen
    jason_worthen
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, thanks but I think I am confusing the matter more. I do not have a 1Password account but I have a username and key from when I bought the application 7 years ago (1Password 3 for Mac). There is no license file that I am aware of, only the username and key. I don't want to have to remember the key, I want to automate entering that key when I rebuild the machine. It sounds like this isn't an option.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jason_worthen: Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying. Indeed, 1Password 3 used a license key. Later versions are a paid upgrade, and use a license file, so what you're trying to do just won't work I'm afraid. A 1Password.com membership will get you the latest version of all of the apps (which work with the latest OS and browser versions), the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether though (you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data). You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. Just something to consider, since you're running High Sierra anyway — and you have to remember your Master Password anyway. Cheers! :)

• jason_worthen
    jason_worthen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty. Since I own the 1Password product, I don't know that I feel the need to sign up to a subscription service. Maybe I will do some research the recognize the benefits of 1Password's subscription service.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jason_worthen: I hear you. I wasn't so sure myself at first, but it just makes things so much smoother — especially when it comes to syncing and securely sharing with my loved ones. Definitely check it out, and if you'll shoot me an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here, I'll be happy to help you make the transition if you want to try it for yourself. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.