Can 1Password handle Random Digits/Characters from a Password

Nogi
Nogi
Community Member

Hello,
Does 1Password have a way of handling Specific Digits or Characters of a Password or Memorable Word.

i.e. your Password or Memorable Word might be = ChRistMa$

And the websites has a login page against for Digit 2,4 and 5

Can 1Password read the webpage and pick the corresponding digits and autofill them???

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

In the browser extension or 1PW mini, next to the concealed password is a button that normally says Copy. But it has a down arrow as well, and you can choose Large Type. That reveals the password in large type, with each character numbered. You can then see the characters needed and enter them.

There isn't an automatic method of entering specific characters, though.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Nogi! I see @danco has already beaten me to the punch here (thanks!), and he's spot-on: Large Type is what you want. Let us know if you have any questions.

• Nogi
    Nogi
    Community Member

Hi Both,
    Thanks for the replies, Large Type isn't too bad a compromise however if you have a memory like Dory the fish like me :)

Then whenever you enter a character on the page the Large Type window loses focus and hides behind the browser window in Safari if using it in fullscreen mode. I could get around this by reposition windows and not having my browser window in fullscreen model but again thats another compromise.

Shame there is not a better solution.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Nogi -

...whenever you enter a character on the page the Large Type window loses focus and hides behind the browser window in Safari if using it in fullscreen mode.

It shouldn't! One thing you may not be aware of is that after the Large Type window appears, if you grab it and move it a little bit, it not only becomes a persistent window, it stays on top of other windows as well. Try it: pick an item and show a password in Large Type. Grab the Large Type window and move it an inch or so on your screen. You should see the standard red-yellow-green buttons appear at the top left of the window, and the window should persist on the "top" of your screen even if you click other applications, like Safari. Let us know how that works for you! :)

• Nogi
    Nogi
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    In Google Chrome and Safari I have only got it to persist once or twice.

Each time I am as you say, clicking it, dragging it to an area which is good on the page and then when I click on the page to enter a character it disappears!

I was going to screen record it with some fake details so you can see but not really got the time at the moment.

I am using:

macOS High Sierra - 10.13.1
    Safari: Version 11.0.1 (13604.3.5)
    Chrome: Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1Password: Version 6.8.4

I have got it to persist once or twice but on most occasions as soon as I click on the webpage it disappears. This is using Safari and Chrome in Fullscreen mode.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Nogi - that's very odd-sounding. This feature works perfectly for me here, and I've got nearly the identical setup you do. The version of your browser shouldn't matter, but everything else is the same. Can you try quitting 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then restarting? See if that makes any difference? If not, you might also want to restart your Mac, especially if you can't remember when the last time you did that was.

• Nogi
    Nogi
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Hi Lars,
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I have just shutdown my MacBook completely, to be fair first cold full restart in a long time so probably could do with it anyway :)

But before doing so I used CTRL and Option to quit both 1Password and Mini.

On boot up 1Password didn't autorun, thought I had it in my startup items so I open it manually. I then opened Safari and tried it and again it disappeared.

FYI, I thought maybe the website in question was taking focus for some reason so I have tried a couple of others and they do the same.

I am willing to screen capture my movements and send via email with a fake login if you have a email address to send to? maybe I am doing something moronically wrong :blush: :chuffed:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Nogi - if you would, that would be great. We're at the point in this troubleshooting that we will probably be discussing details of your setup that shouldn't be in this public forum anyway. So if you're willing to take a screenshot or two - or even a short video - and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com, that would be great. Please include a link to this thread here as well as your forum username, so we'll know how to "connect the dots" when we get your email. Thanks!

• Nogi
    Nogi
    Community Member

I have just recorded a video of my screen, first time I recorded it IT WORKED lol

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th attempt it didn't !

Like I said on occasion it persists but I am doing nothing different on each attempt.

I will email you a link to the video in a minute.

Regards
    Nogi

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Nogi - sounds good. Please don't forget to let us know here that you've sent it off, and if you can, include the Support ID (which should be in the title of a confirmation email you receive (will look something like: #ABC-12345-678). Thanks! :+1:

• Nogi
    Nogi
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    All sent, support ID: [#PXM-26457-339]

Had to recapture the screen again as I exported in 420p and the video was barely visible, so re-did it in 1080p.

Thanks for the quick replies.

This is where you tell me "You idiot you're doing it wrong" :chuffed:

Regards,
    Nogi

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Nogi -- Ha! Not necessarily. Could be I'll wind up saying "yup, looks like a bug." Anyway, thanks for the effort, and I'll be replying to you via email shortly.

ref: PXM-26457-339

• Ernie
    Ernie
    Community Member

I just found this discussion - after many years as a 1Password user I'm delighted, even over the moon at discovering the feature!! Odd to hide it under 'Large Type' ... you should publicise this more as its an ever increasing requirement for more secure web sites.

• Thanks @Ernie. It's not a practice we'd encourage companies adopt, as it's really "security theater" at best and poor practice at worst. Maybe we can put out a blog post about this (and why we'd discourage it). I'll suggest it to the team.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.