BUG: Memory leak in 6.8.473 [Fixed in 6.8.484]

mhartfield
mhartfield
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

After experiencing a slowdown in my computer I looked at Task Manager and 1Password was using 100% CPU and more than 2GB of RAM. I was able to right click on the 1password system tray icon and choose "Exit" to stop 1password and restart, and now it's at a much more reasonable 1% and 109.5 MB. Unfortunately I forgot to run a diagnostic before exiting the app when it was leaking, so I can't provide you with more clues.

Is there a known memory leak in this version? The app was running for > 1 week, so it's possible that it's a slow leak. I'll leave it running and see if it occurs again. If it does, is there a way for me to generate a dump so you can see what's leaking?

1Password Version: 6.8.473
Extension Version: 4.6.13.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• mhartfield
    mhartfield
    Community Member

I just noticed that Task Manager has a "Create Dump File" context menu option, apparently since Windows 8...

The last time I did Windows programming Windows for Workgroups was the hot new thing, so the tools have changed a bit. I'll generate a dump if this happens again :-)

• @mhartfield: There is a known issue where logs can cause a memory leak and this would certainly be exacerbated by a lengthy system uptime, which makes me suspect this is what you're running into. We're already looking into a fix and in the meantime, I'd keep an eye on whether at least keeping 1Password's uptime (if not system uptime) shorter sorts things out for you. :chuffed: Of course, if you make any discoveries indicating a separate issue, we're all ears. :+1:

• mhartfield
    mhartfield
    Community Member

Thanks @bundtkate

• On behalf of Kate, you're welcome.

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Yep I experienced this as well. I lost my network connection at the office overnight (not sure if this has something to do with it). Came back to this in the morning:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yikes! Sorry about that. We'll get this under control. Thanks for letting us know!

• Hi guys,

@mbesemann and @mhartfield, can you try the latest 1Password 6.8.484 beta update and let me know if it is better now?

• mbesemann
    mbesemann
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

@MikeT it's better, but still has the highest memory consumption of all my idle apps. (To be fair, it might be one of the most complex apps running in the background apart from McAffee)

• @mbesemann i did some profiling on the app, most of the memory is used by video drivers. It depends on the screen resolution as well, on larger hi-dpi screens more memory is reserved by video driver. With that being said, I know that next update will have some improvements to reduce memory requirement.

This discussion has been closed.