Get the password from a Login category without hovering + mouse action

felixdesouza
felixdesouza
Community Member

Hello!

So I have some domain creds that I use 1Password to manage, but it isn't the only way in which those creds are used, i.e. I need to use them to ssh into a computer. When I'm on the web, everything works great. But I'd like it to be the case that when I'm in my Terminal, I can do the shortcut which then brings up 1Password and then with clicking (or some other action if 1Password isn't able to tell what application I'm in), just paste the password in. Is that possible?

Another approach would be having the option to convert an item in the Login category to a Password category, but that feels a bit clunky imo.

Thanks!

Felix

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@felixdesouza You can of course still search for your credentials in the main 1Password app or the mini, then copy the password and paste it into Terminal, though I suspect this is what you're already doing, and looking for a more-elegant way to accomplish.

The keyboard shortcuts in 1Password are app-specific, not global to macOS. You can see the full list of them here, and even though ⌘\ is listed as "Global," you still need to be in a browser with the 1Password extension installed there in order for the shortcut to be recognized and 1Password to fill the login fields on the current page. We don't currently have a way to do this in native apps like Terminal.

It MAY be possible for us to do something like what you're envisioning in 3rd party terminal emulators like iTerm or PuTTY, but that's going to be on a product-by-product basis, isn't a sure thing, and is merely in the "that might be nice to look into someday" category. We have considered the possibility, but no hard investigation has gone into it yet...and I couldn't tell you when it might.

Thanks for the suggestion, and please know that we're not telling you 'no' -- just haven't had the bandwidth for it yet. Stay tuned!

• felixdesouza
    felixdesouza
    Community Member

I see.

Would there be any scope for changing the default behaviour for non-browser workflows? Hopefully nothing wild, and potentially easier than the latter proposal.

Non-browser workflow:

• Do "global" shortcut
    • Selecting the Login in question
    • Pressing Enter defaults to pasting in the password as opposed to opening up a browser to try and log in.

Often time I'd find myself navigating to the site in question (in my browser) before trying to login with 1Password, as opposed to going to the site through 1Password e.g. be anywhere in your OS, press one of the global shortcuts, press one of the logins and then your browser opens up and logs you in. Seems a bit odd in that respect, although that's only me ha!

Felix

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@felixdesouza - I'll certainly mention it to the developers. We're always looking for ways to make 1Password more useful, easier to use and more secure. Thanks for the ideas. :)

ref: OPM-75

This discussion has been closed.