Feature request: Pincode/passcode item type

Options
gerardtop
gerardtop
Community Member

Thanks to 1Password & more specific the Watchtower functionality, I am much more aware of my passwords and password strength. However, there are a number of occassions where I need to use short codes (e.g. 1234) which are 4 to 6 numbers. That's not something Watchtower likes, so I'm getting false positives on those items.

Is it possible to add a "code" item type next to "password"? Additionaly, Watchtower should whitelist those items on complexity (maybe it still should remind you about renewing the code after a certain period, but that is something you guys have a clear vision on, I would guess).

That would help me a lot in using 1Password.

Cheers, Gerard

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:pincode item type

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gerardtop: Thanks for reaching out! I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying 1Password and Watchtower! Strong passwords do not need to be changed unless they are compromised, so we don't have time criteria for that. But indeed, "PIN" codes and other similarly weak-by-necessity passwords are not treated differently from other weak passwords. It isn't possible today, but we're considering adding a way to exclude items from Watchtower. It sounds like that would help in your case. Thanks for your feedback on this!

• gerardtop
    gerardtop
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, thanks for your quick reply! I will keep on ignoring those false positives for now. Thanks for considering this as a way to improve the Watchtower functionality.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Absolutely! And likewise, thanks for bringing this up. It really helps to know the kinds of improvements you and others are looking for. :chuffed:

• alanhoyle
    alanhoyle
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Just putting a vote in here for this feature as well. It bothers me slightly that, for example, I get "Weak Password" warnings about and cannot whitelist the numeric-only freeze PINs that the credit reporting agencies insist on generating for me.

At some level, I know that this kind of thing DOES exist within 1Password, as the "Verification number" fields for credit cards are hidden by default, but don't trigger the Watchtower alerts.

By the way, this doesn't seem to be a Mac-specific feature, as it affects wherever Watchtower is enabled.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @alanhoyle :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.