Santander passcode and registration number not both visible

I'm using a MacBook with High Sierra. I'm running 1Password 6.8.4. I'm using Chrome 62.0.3202.94

I created a login for Santander using a Step1/Step2 method described in a post on this forum and it works fine. Today I wanted to change my password and I became concerned because in the 1Password login entry there was only a single "password" field - which contained my password, but not my "registration code". Both are needed to login at Step 2 of the login process. However, when I use 1Password to login, both fields are filled out.

When I searched the vault for my registration code, 1Password found the correct Santander entry, but I still can't 'see' the registration code through the UI. I tried creating a new login and that also has only one password field, but this time it shows the registration code - although it also works for logging in!

Finally, when I changed my password using the generator, it filled in all 3 fields on the form (the third being the registration code), which I had to overwrite. It was then the registration code that was stored in the password field of the 1Password entry.

What's going on?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.1
Sync Type: 1Password family
Referrer: forum-search:santander

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @sebrose,

In 1Password there are various item types that you're accustomed to and what you may not know is their formats go back as far as at least 1Password 3 for Mac, possibly further (no personal experience to draw on I'm afraid). With the Login item their are default fields, hardcoded and treated specially. As a result you will always see a username and password field, assuming the fields store something. These fields are treated specially and for the most part a username and password are what authenticate you with the vast majority of sites.

1Password can fill more than just two fields though and it does this using data stored in the web form details. The easiest way is to save the Login item from inside the browser where 1Password will do its best to determine which field represents the username and which the password. It can get confused though depending on the design of the page.

So if you were to inspect the web form details you should find that one field has been flagged as representing the username (we use the silhouette of a person) and another the password (silhouette of a key) and that another field will contain your registration code. There isn't a way to have 1Password display all three in a connected way but if it helps you can add a custom section and field that also happen to contain the registration code. It does have its limitations though. 1Password will update the password field if it detects a password change but this won't happen at all for any additional fields like the registration code. If the code was to change you would either want to create a new Login item or manually update the field with the new code. Part of the general problem is additional fields are notoriously tricky to pin down. Fields for the username and password tend to to share traits, enough to allow reasonably high recognition but additional fields often follow no patterns.

Hopefully this helps but if you have any questions at all please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.