Double password to get into 1Password X

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited December 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

I have reactivated 1Password X v1.20 and noticed a double Master Password scenario but at least Duo is now working but not before entering the first Master Password!

First Master Password is what anyone would do to enter into 1Password 6 for Windows. Second Master Password is for 1Password.com sign in with Secret Key.

1Password Extension 4.7.0.1 and 1Password X 1.2 are both active.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Thanks for bringing this up! I'm not entirely clear what's going on here, so if you can provide some additional details that would be appreciated. :)

But, just to clarify, 1Password X will require you to enter the Master Password for additional accounts you setup in it to unlock them if they are different. Is that where you're running into trouble? We recommend using a single long, strong, unique Master Password for all of your 1Password.com accounts so that you only have to remember one (and, therefore, it can be better). And then when you unlock with that it will work for all of your accounts in 1Password X. Does that help?

Can you tell me how Duo is involved? Also, unlocking 1Password X or the other 1Password extension cannot unlock the other. Or, do you have a different Master Password setup for unlocking 1Password for Windows version 6, which is not the one you use for your 1Password.com account? Please let me know!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Hi

I am not entirely clear on what's happening. I had previously indicated that Duo did not work with 1Password X 1.0.1. What I am experiencing is that when I click on the 1Password X icon, there is a Master Password "box" like what I might see on the Mac but unlike the 1Password 6 version.

I unlock that with the 1Password.com Master Password and then get to the "Stage 2" sign in. Duo Prompt gets shown here.

There is now an issue with the Duo Prompt interaction, which is I am observing an endless loop of Duo Prompt and 1Password.com sign ins with 1Password X 1.2.0. It repeats over and over. I would sign in and then 10 seconds later get auto sign out and will have to re-sign in.

I closed 3 tabs and it appears I was logged into 1Password.com with 1Password X but the most recent tab made me think I was auto logged out?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: Thanks for the additional information.

Can you check and let me know the number of days you have set for "Remember Device Authentications" on the MFA settings page of your account?

Thanks!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

HI Beyer

In the Settings, I have it set to 0 day. Thanks.

• Hi @wkleem,

I'm afraid you picked the one setting that's not currently supported. 1Password X isn't capable of handling situations where MFA expires immediately, and will instead put you into the endless loop you observed. The only solution I can recommend right now is to set a timeout of at least one day.

It will take a bit of work to support the 0-day configuration, but it's good to know that you rely on it so we can make it a priority.

Mitch

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks!

It has been that way since I turned on MFA and Duo and I haven't any recollection of altering it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I believe the default is 30 days (or authorizing a new browser), but it's possible it's been changed over time for new accounts.

This discussion has been closed.