How to sync for all devices in a family plan

Options
rebern
rebern
Community Member

We are currently using Dropbox. It that what we use for the family plan.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 11.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Sync

Comments

• rebern
    rebern
    Community Member
    Options

We are using Dropbox for sync. Is that correct for family plan?

• Hi @rebern,

That depends. There have been multiple "family" plans for 1Password over the years. Now there's only 1, but depending when you started being a 1Password user you might have something different than what we're currently offering. So let me go through the two older ways and let's see if that rings a bell for you.

Old Ways

iTunes Family Sharing

Apple does what they call Family Sharing with iTunes (iOS and Mac App Stores) purchases, where if one member of the family purchases an app, the other members of the family can download that app for free. It required that you setup the Family in iTunes and then "just worked". When using it this way, Dropbox would have been the best way to sync between family members. There was nothing else to help make syncing easier for this configuration.

Family License for 1Password

For a period of time, we sold licenses to 1Password for Mac on our website that were family licenses. These licenses allowed members of the same family to use 1Password on their Macs. Similarly to the iTunes Family Sharing, there wasn't anything to make syncing between members easier, so Dropbox was the way to go.

New Way

Technically speaking, sync via Dropbox works. Once it's setup and working, things keep working and it's still a great way to sync your 1Password data. But there's some complexities, multiple passwords to remember and need to share around. Dropbox now has more strict limits on free accounts too, which makes things more complicated.

This is part of the reason that we started 1Password Families (the new way). With 1Password Families, you setup your family with 1Password and you don't need to worry about sync at all. 1Password will automatically configure that using our own sync server.

My favorite part of 1Password Families has nothing to do with sync though. My favorite part is the peace of mind it brings me. I know that if my wife forgets her Master Password, that I can help her recover her account. Note that it's not because I work for AgileBits that I can do this. It's because we're using 1Password Families. AgileBits still can't help with recovery, which is important to me from a security perspective.

So to go back to your original question... if you had previously purchased a family license or used iTunes Family Sharing, then using Dropbox to sync is just fine. But I think you should take a look at 1Password Families. It's really quite cool.

Rick

• rebern
    rebern
    Community Member
    Options

I don’t know if we have 1Password Families. I am looking at my wife’s iPad and don’t see an option for that. It shows sync with - iCloud, Dropbox, WLAN

• @rebern : the easiest way to see if someone has 1Password Families is to go here: https://my.1password.com/signin, then click the "Find my account" link at the bottom of the page and punch in your email address. It should let you know if you have a 1Password Families account.

Rick

• rebern
    rebern
    Community Member
    Options

I entered my email address, Secret Key, Master Password. Get an error statement “cannot sign in. User deleted. What am I doing wrong?

• Ben
    Options

@rebern

You aren’t doing anything wrong, you just don’t have an active 1Password.com account. In order to discuss any account specific details we’d need to more this conversation to email, as these are public forums. Please shoot us an email to support@agilebits.com and with your email please include your forum username rebern as well as a link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/84656/

When you email in you’ll get a Support ID back from BitBot. Please post that ID here.

Thanks.

Ben

• rebern
    rebern
    Community Member
    Options

SuPort ID QNM-44554-535

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rebern: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll get back to you shortly! :)

ref: QNM-44554-535

This discussion has been closed.