How to install 1 PW Family and 1 PW License on shared/not shared Apple devices and a Win10 computer

Options
LucVDL
LucVDL
Community Member

Good afternoon everyone,

I bought a standalone 1PW license in Feb 2016.
I started with the trial family account last week and I tried to install 1PW Family on

• one shared iMac ( OS High SIERRA) (no different sessions)
  • my iPhone and this of my wife ( both iOS 11.1.2)
  • my iPad and this of my wife ( iOS 11.2)
  • one shared Windows 10 computer (no different sessions)
    additionnal information: We have a common gmail account and I have another one for the job.
    We have common passwords for our commercial and other sites.
    For my work I need to have own passwords ( now I regularly must change and remember those PW ), which I am not allowed to share.
    I have a personal computer only for the job.
    I've put my wife as Family member, and I'm Family Organizer. She has her own secret key.
    Since now I used the 1Password License on the different devices but there was no question of synchronization.
    My questions are

• First of all, is it feasable to install both 1PW family and 1Password Personal License on the same computer without mismatch ? I've some doubts 0:)) My wife and I could use the shared devices for personal affairs and job for me.

• If we organize different sessions on the iMac and Windows computer, would it be possible to use "our personal vault ", each on our session ?

I would like to synchronize with iCloud. I didn't do it yet : I've enough issues...
If needed I can make different sessions on the shared computers.

I suppose it must be a little bit confused for you.
Please could you help me ?
Sorry for the language, but english is not my native language, I'm sure you've seen it.
Best regards,
Luc

1Password Version: family 6.8.4 // License ?? ( 4 and 6 inFeb 2016)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1
Sync Type: iCloud?

Comments

• Hi @LucVDL,

I'm confident that we can make all of this work nicely for you.

I'll address your questions, but first I need to talk about one thing you mentioned... that you made your wife a Family Member while you're a Family Organizer. We recommend having two Family Organizers within a 1Password Families account. We recommend this because only an organizer can recover another user, so if you were to forget your Master Password or lose your Secret Key, unless your wife is an organizer, she won't be able to help you recover from that.

So now on to your questions...

First of all, is it feasable to install both 1PW family and 1Password Personal License on the same computer without mismatch ? I've some doubts 0:)) My wife and I could use the shared devices for personal affairs and job for me.

Well.. this would depend on what exactly you mean by a 1Password Personal License. Our apps only need to be licensed one way or another. A 1Password Families account acts as a license and when it's setup you have access to the full feature set of 1Password.

But I suspect that what you're really asking for here is whether it's possible to have additional vaults. My recommendation would be to do this within 1Password Families. You can create yourself an additional Work vault that only you have access to.

If we organize different sessions on the iMac and Windows computer, would it be possible to use "our personal vault ", each on our session ?

Yes.

I would like to synchronize with iCloud.

If you're using 1Password Families, it'll take care of sync automatically for you, and you shouldn't need to configure anything about it. It works with our own sync system.

I hope that this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions we can help with.

Rick

• LucVDL
    LucVDL
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rickfillion,

Thanks for your support
    I'll address your questions, but first I need to talk about one thing you mentioned... that you made your wife a Family Member while you're a Family Organizer. We recommend having two Family Organizers within a 1Password Families account. We recommend this because only an organizer can recover another user, so if you were to forget your Master Password or lose your Secret Key, unless your wife is an organizer, she won't be able to help you recover from that.
    OK, thanks,I did it.

First of all, is it feasable to install both 1PW family and 1Password Personal License on the same computer without mismatch ? I've some doubts 0:)) My wife and I could use the shared devices for personal affairs and job for me.

Well.. this would depend on what exactly you mean by a 1Password Personal License. Our apps only need to be licensed one way or another. A 1Password Families account acts as a license and when it's setup you have access to the full feature set of 1Password.
    ****By Personal License I mean the Standalone 1PW Licence I bought last year. I should use this app ONLY on the job computer (Windows) I use when I'm abroad.**** When I download the 1Password-6.8.4.pkg, I install it on my iMac, but the app requests the password I used for the standalone app and not the Master linked with my new Account.

But I suspect that what you're really asking for here is whether it's possible to have additional vaults. My recommendation would be to do this within 1Password Families. You can create yourself an additional Work vault that only you have access to.
    It's in fact really easy to make an additional vault, but I regularly travel in countries I don't find an organization I can trust and where I can have a connection I can be confident it's secure ( I always use national public networks). That's the reason why I would like to use the standalone version I bought last year when I'm abroad. If I use the 1PW Family version and espesially "Travel Mode", do I need to be reconnected for recovering my vaults ?

I'm waiting for your advices and if needed I'll revert to you.

Best regards,
    LucVDL

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LucVDL - The reason 1Password 6 for Mac asks you for your Master Password that you used with your earlier standalone setup is because this is the data that you used to create your Master Password setup initially. When you first install 1Password, the Master Password that gets used is that of the first vault you add. If that was back in the days when you only had standalone vaults, then that's what it will be unless you reset the data.

However, if you previously had 1Password data in standalone (local) vaults that you want to keep (or transfer to your new 1password.com account vaults), then you'll want to sign in to your account in 1Password 6 for Mac by going to Preferences > Accounts, clicking the plus button and either scanning or manually entering your 1Password details. Once that's done, you can migrate your local data to your 1Password account.

If you prefer to keep the data you already have in 1Password within your standalone vault, you can do that as well, but you'd have to set up syncing separately if you want to have it on multiple devices. Really, using your 1Password account is by far the easiest way to go here. You do need to be connected to the internet to restore your vaults after using Travel Mode.

• LucVDL
    LucVDL
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Thanks a lot, I'll try to solve the problem.
    Have a nice day
    Luc

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LucVDL - you're quite welcome! Let us know if you run into any further snags; we're here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.