Backing-up the entire Family Account

Hi,

We recently got a family member who, by mistake, deleted his entire personal vault. We found how to recover it but that make me ask myself if there is a way to have a timely backup of the entire family vault and, even better, to have vault-backup versioning.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1Passwodruser256: Yes and no. There isn't a way for you to backup the data yourself, but that's done automatically by the server. It sounds like, rather than your family member "deleted his entire personal vault" (this isn't possible without deleting the account), they just Trashed all the items that were in that vault. 1Password.com accounts not only keep items in the Trash indefinitely unless you empty it, you can still recover items using the item history feature. For 1Password Families and individual 1Password memberships, this goes back a full year. So while it doesn't work the way you're asking (the hard way, with you having to manage that yourself), that's all pretty much happening behind the scenes already. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• 1Passwodruser256
    1Passwodruser256
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Thank you, that was really helpful, and I agree everything going on behind the scenes is very handy (love what you guys do), but as I'm a bit maniac with the fact that things sometimes go wrong, specially with regards to IT systems, IT users and so many different OS clients, I created an extra "Dec'17 backup vault" , where I copied all the keys, and marked "not for travel". I was planning to do that once per year,

Do you think what I did is worth it ?, or am I wasting resources for nothing ?

Thanks!

• Hey @1Passwodruser256! If doing so gives you peace of mind, then it's worth it :) That said, I'm not sure there is overly much benefit in doing so.

We have talked about a manual backup feature that you could use to backup your database locally, however this poses a number of complex issues. Since the version of your encrypted data stored on the server is the "truth" (meaning the complete set of data), restoring an old local backup would be difficult - now your other devices would have technically newer versions of the data than what was restored - do we sync those "changes" back up to the server since they're technically newer? That would overwrite the restored data, which is not what we want.

There are definitely ways to get around these issues, but they'll take a lot of careful thought and planning to get right. Hopefully we'll get there eventually.

One last point I wanted to make in addition to what @brenty mentioned is that all your devices connected to your account contain a local copy of your data - this is how you can access it offline. So, even if our entire server went down or got deleted somehow, you'd still have a copy of your data on each device.

• 1Passwodruser256
    1Passwodruser256
    Community Member

What I would like to have is not a local backup, but a backup capability in your servers.

I considered the possibility of having a local exported and encrypted backup copy, but the security decreases and, truly, the only reason for having a local copy is if you guys go bust, which we all know it will never happen ;) . It is best having a backup cloud service.

The other reason for having an off-line backup copy is if we ever face a "smart" ransomware/virus event in one of the clients. In which case all local and even cloud synch copies might be compromised, delete or corrupted. Backup-and-offline copies would remain protected in the cloud servers, away from the virus strain.

The "backup and offline copy in my encrypted space" feature would work for me. Something I could only access over the web interface and requires double authentication to be deleted or restored.

• I'm not sure I follow, @1Passwodruser256.

You want our servers to have the responsibility to backup your data to other cloud storage providers like Dropbox?

Rick

• 1Passwodruser256
    1Passwodruser256
    Community Member

Thank you Rick
    No, no ... that would be a security mistake in case of ransomware..... what I want to be able is to:

• have a backup copy in "your servers", with my own keys
    • Accessible only via the Web-portal interface, in a non downloadable/synced space.
    • be able to backup manually, but could also do automatic/programmed.
    • Keep up to 10 backup versions
    • been able to restore any version based on dual authentication and only accessible from the Web-portal

Hope that makes more sense now

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying! 1Password.com already has a great item history feature as well as automatic backups, but we definitely want to continue to build on this foundation. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.