This extension violates the Chrome Web Store policy [extension is outdated; ask for help!]

Options
DanStewart
DanStewart
Community Member
edited December 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have been using 1Password for years on Windows 7 as a chrome extension. The current 1Password extension version is 3.9.21.90. Today the icon is suddenly gone from chrome and the extensions list has this error message: This extension violates the Chrome Web Store policy.

How do I correct this problem and, in the meanwhile, how do I access my passwords?

Thanks for any help you can provide. This is very alarming.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DanStewart
    DanStewart
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, resolved this - the enable box was unchecked in the extensions panel so I checked it and now the extension is back.

It looks like 1Password has moved to a subscription model. I have not been using syncing because I only need the passwords on the one computer. What are safe options for me to back up my passwords on my computer? Thanks.

• @DanStewart: While I'm glad things are working for you right now, it does sound like you're running an outdated extension here and it would best if you're able to get updated as a lot has changed since 2014 when that version was released. Don't change anything now. The version you're using needs to sync with the desktop app and you can lose data if you remove it when something hasn't synced. Instead, leave everything alone for now and could you let us know:

1. If you add a new item in your browser, does this sync to the 1Password desktop app?
    2. What version of the 1Password desktop app are you using on this PC?

This will give us some background on your starting point so we can talk update options and get you set up with the latest and greatest. Thanks! :chuffed:

• doug_regan
    doug_regan
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same thing happening and the app is telling me that I am on the current SW, but it looks like I am on a very old version, 1.0.9.343. How do I upgrade to the current version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DanStewart: Ah, that makes sense. You can install 1Password 4 and use that you have a license which is valid for it:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4

Otherwise, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the latest apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Either way, if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here, we can help you get things setup. It may not be straightforward to make the jump from such an old version, but we're here for you. :)

• davidebbo
    davidebbo
    Community Member
    Options

I also use that non-subscription based 1.x version. Is there any downside to simply enabling the extension despite the Chrome warning?

• @davidebbo: For the moment, it seems to be working fine if you re-enable, but these policies and how they're enforced are in the hands of Google, so we can't predict how long that will be an option. They may never decide to strictly enforce this policy, or they may permanently disable the older version of the extension tomorrow. We just don't know. As such, our advice would be to upgrade as brenty mentioned above, particularly given this version needs the extension and the main app to sync up, so losing the extension could lead to losing some data if they're not synced up at the time and that's not something we want to happen. Of course, the choice is yours, but just know that sticking with 1Password 1 now comes with some risks. :+1:

• davidebbo
    davidebbo
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thanks, that makes sense. I know I should upgrade, but since I have a working workflow with the old one, I'm delaying this. The time will inevitably come :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear you. On a Mac it's more problematic to upgrade since that generally means an OS upgrade is necessary too, but unless you're using something super old there's a good chance that 1Password 4 will be a drop-in upgrade, with the added bonus of full support for recent browser releases. Just a thought. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.