From local to 1Password.com (Max vault name)

Options

I wonder if anyone had considered the maximum vault names which from Windows or MAC would be 255 characters? When it comes to 1Password.com I am not finding it possible to create extra Long vault names.

Comments

• @wkleem : you're right, that's a new limitation.

Vault names are private so I won't ask you for what you're trying to use, but I'd love to know what you're trying to accomplish.

We're trying to avoid having people use the vault name to store data beyond the name of the vault. There's no part of our user interface that makes having a super long name pleasant.

Would making better use of the "description" field throughout our interface(s) make things better for you?

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi Rick,

E.g. because new accounts are unverified so it would make sense to group them? Right now as the initial vault is Personal, that is where everything is ending up.

Inexplicably the edit of an existing comment started a new comment so please delete to comment above this one

• @wkleem: I'm not sure I'm following what your end goal is here. Where new items are saved isn't really related to any given vault name. It's your choice where to save items and they will go in your default vault for saving by ... well, default (sounds like Personal in your case).

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I was just attempting to tidy up a bit as I tend to be disorganised.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I appreciate you explaining. I'm not sure how beneficial it would to allow for even longer vault names though, since past a relatively early point they can't be displayed in the UI and we don't want to design around super long vault names. For example, the vault dropdown in the autosave dialog allows for about 20-30 characters to be displayed for each vault, so anything beyond that will not be visible...so if the first part of the vault name is the same for multiple vaults, they will be indistinguishable there. I think Rick may be right that it would be helpful to expose the "description" of each vault (perhaps in a tool tip) in the apps though. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks for the input. Using a 4" phone, I see what you mean @brenty ! I was hoping for some wraparound which is possible in the 1Password for iOS Password Generator and nowhere else in other platforms.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Also, to further distinguish local from web vaults, and in the past I've noticed a hidden "macintosh.local on my Macs. Nothing to do with 1Password but Bonjour name, I think.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201275

I considered like a .web or similar appendage but the name limitation is there.

• @wkleem : I don't think you need an additional hundred chars to distinguish between local and 1password.com vaults. They're already grouped together visually whenever they're presented in any UI.

Appending or prepending a "Web" to a vault name isn't what's going to put you over the 255 limit unless you've already got a really long vault name. I really can't think of a scenario where having a name being over 100 characters would at all be useful, so you're going to have to help me understand what kind of vault name is useful like that.

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I need to think about this further. I do think that it might be useful to have a ticker tape scrolling function built in but I don’t see it on modern phones.

If a phone name or number is too Long it would scroll.

• Perhaps, but I'd love to hear more about what people are trying to put in vault names before we spend time implementing a solution to a problem that I'm not convinced is a realistic issue.

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion,

I will see if I can find a coherent reason. Thanks for putting up with me as folders are gone and I am not tagging much. I currently use vaults in place of folders.

• No worries. I'd have the same kinds of questions about folder names that go over 255 chars. :)

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

There is this issue which is with increasingly more mobile first apps, I would have a partially redacted phone number in a vault name? Or IMEI and serial number?

• Hrmm... those are interesting cases. But none of those come close to the 255 length limit. I think there's an argument to be made that our UIs should handle longer vault names better, but I think that's a different discussion than the limitation of it being under 255 characters.

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Rick,

I think you are right. Currently the limit is 24 characters which a 15 digit IMEI (with or without dividers) will fit inside.

• Sounds about right.

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

A 4"phone is going to be hard no matter what, I think. I have created some maxed out vault names. I will see how I like them and I am aware that the 1Password site isn't designed for small screen viewing.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi

Unrelated to this discussion is that there is no Hardware Category. I am attempting to see if vaults (max 25 characters) can substitute for hardware.

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know what you're using 255 characters for in a vault name but most of us use something like the word "Personal" (8 characters), "Work" (4 characters), "Development" (11 characters) or "Shared" (6 characters).

1Password doesn't have categories for everything but you can store passwords under the generic Password category.

If you want to store lots of information then you can use Secure Notes. Some people would argue that this isn't what a password manager is designed for hence why there's no separate categories for every conceivable data type.

I really think that if you're using anywhere near 255 characters for folder names or vault names you're using 1Password in a manner that nobody else does.

Keep titles short and sweet (descriptive) and for more information use the Notes section of the respective entry or Secure Notes for longer pieces of information.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Particular to 1Password 6.6 for Android at the moment is the issue of logins having only a single URL being recognised. I would want to keep these logins in their own vault. I probably won't need to use 255 characters but just drawing attention to 25 character maximum per vault name.

• Ben
    Options

Okay. :+1:

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks and there is another Android peculiarity with regard to logins which is that all logins end with .android and it won’t work elsewhere by default.

• @wkleem : can i ask you to create a new thread for that in the Android section of the forum?

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

No problem. Sorry about going off topic.

• No worries. :)

Rick

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

It may help to make 1Password on small screen devices rotatable as currently the 4” and 4.7” iPhones cannot be used in landscape mode? It would make the 25 characters (or more) easier to read.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think it's problematic to design everything in 1Password for iOS around the smallest form factor. We already struggle with making good use of the space on iPads since the sizes vary so greatly. it's something we'll keep in mind going forward though, especially if Apple continues to make 4" devices. Thanks for the feedback!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi @brenty,

There is a segment whom like myself dislike larger phones. Even the current 4.7” iPhone 8 and its predecessors are larger than necessary when I compare my 4.6” Sony Xperia X Compact to my IPhone 5s/SE.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I hear you. My tiny, fat hands certainly dislike larger phones...but my eyes and all the rest can't give up the larger screen. Maybe Apple will give us a device that size that has a much larger edge-to-edge screen someday. :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I hear you. My tiny, fat hands certainly dislike larger phones...but my eyes and all the rest can't give up the larger screen. Maybe Apple will give us a device that size that has a much larger edge-to-edge screen someday. :chuffed:

True enough. I heard it's rumoured Apple will have to keep the small factor in order not to cede the that size range to Android.

I also have misgivings about Face ID? It would be good to have both Touch ID and Face ID but that may not happen.

This discussion has been closed.