Looking for the 1Password Helper and Blocked Connection Attempt in Version 6.7.457

Hello, it seems like the only extension I can get to work on Chrome in Windows is the Chrome X extension. I really want use just the normal local extension for 1Password in Chrome but it says it either cannot find the Helper App or 1Password says it is blocking the connection because of a Bad Chrome Certificate. i have already uninstalled Chrome and made sure it was updated to the latest version. i have also added and removed the 1Password extension. I am running the Windows Creator Update.

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tekfranz: Can you tell me the exact message you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

Also, make sure you have the latest version of the 1Password extension installed: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

if you have "security" software or something else which is modifying Chrome, or your certificate authorities are messed up that could cause 1Password to be unable to validate the identity of the browser. Let me know what you find!

• tekfranz
    tekfranz
    Community Member

Here are two screenshots showing 1Password refusing the connection from Chrome. I could not reproduce the screen asking me to make sure 1Password Helper was running but I was seeing that earlier as well.

• @tekfranz: The combination of the refused connections and the helper issue really sounds like an anti-malware software issue to me. Could you let us know if you're running any anti-malware software on this PC beyond Windows Defender? Thanks! :chuffed:

• tekfranz
    tekfranz
    Community Member

I only have Windows Defender installed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@tekfranz: That's a bit disappointing. If that's what 1Password is seeing, either you or something else on your system has modified things so that Chrome cannot be identified. This is what it should look like:

Anyway, if you haven't done something to Chrome yourself (it sounds like you haven't, but it's worth considering) then something else is causing this, and the "something else" isn't going to be something we can guess at. There are two things to look at though:

1. Chrome itself is damaged or modified, so as to invalidate its signature.
    2. Something is wrong with the certificate store on your system, which is causing Google itself to have their certificate not be recognized.

Did you perhaps used to have some other "security" software or malware (or still do) that has left things in a damaged state?

What if you try using another browser? Is Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave, or Vivaldi recognized? That can help narrow it down to see if it is only Chrome that is affected.

We won't have the answers for you in this case, as this is not normal behaviour on a Windows system, but that should at least help point you in the right direction.

• tekfranz
    tekfranz
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Sure thanks for your help. Yes previously I had Malwarebytes, Norton, cCleaner and who knows what else installed.
    I had done clean uninstalls and re-installs of Chrome, 1Password and the extensions but it is quite possible the Windows Certificate Authority is corrupted.
    Its not a big deal. Sometime the machine will get re-formatted and then our CA and Chrome install should be fresh and functional.

Thanks for your great support!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thanks for your help. Yes previously I had Malwarebytes, Norton, cCleaner and who knows what else installed.

@tekfranz: Ah, thanks for clarifying. I haven't encounter issues with the others, but I know Norton has been known to do things like that.

I had done clean uninstalls and re-installs of Chrome, 1Password and the extensions but it is quite possible the Windows Certificate Authority is corrupted.

It really sounds like that's what's happening to me.

Its not a big deal. Sometime the machine will get re-formatted and then our CA and Chrome install should be fresh and functional. Thanks for your great support!

You're welcome! I only wish I knew of an easier way to resolve that, but glad to hear that you're planning on a fresh Windows install anyway. That will definitely get the certificate store back to a clean state. :)

• tekfranz
    tekfranz
    Community Member

It seems like the latest update resolved the issue. Also I removed the Chrome X extension. So somehow the combination seems to have resolved it. I might try to add the Chrome X extension back again.

• tekfranz
    tekfranz
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Oh wait, I can't find the Chrome X version anymore. Maybe it is only available on Chromebooks or it was taken down? If so maybe 1 Password Chrome X was my issue and removing it fixed it.

So my issue could have been installing the ChromeBook version of 1Password X alongside my regular Windows version and the two conflicted with each other....

Just hypothesizing here....

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tekfranz,

Thank you for keeping us posted! The latest update is great. :chuffed:

1Password extension in the browser and 1Password X should not conflict with each other. 1Password X should be available in Chrome Web Store here. Please try to download it and see if you can reproduce the issue. I have both extensions installed on my PC and can't do that. :)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.