I keep getting the message Backup failed

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: I get a "Backup Failed" error on my Mac.

Comments

• Glencliffe
    Glencliffe
    Community Member
    Options

I keep getting the message Backup failed. I followed the directions : You might be able to solve this by restarting 1Password mini. From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Once you do that, unlock 1Password and go to File > Backup. I did all that and opened the original 1Password and it does not recognize my password. I cannot open it. Please help. I have used 1Password since 2014 and are dependent on it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Glencliffe: It sounds like you may have multiple copies of 1Password and/or its data. Can you elaborate on "opened the original 1Password"?

• Glencliffe
    Glencliffe
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry that I wasn't clear. I opened 1Pass in my application folder on my iMac. I installed High Sierra a few weeks ago and have had trouble with other apps including Filemaker - had to buy a new copy. I will appreciate your advice as to how to recover 1Pass.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Glencliffe Installing High Sierra shouldn't - by itself - cause you to have this kind of problem with 1Password, which makes me wonder what else might be going on with your setup. Before we go down that road, however, can you clarify for us? Are you unable to open 1Password at all? Or just unable to restore from a backup? Prior to High Sierra, what version of macOS or OS X were you using? And what version of 1Password for Mac? Thanks in advance for the additional information.

• Glencliffe
    Glencliffe
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry that I wasn't clear. I opened 1Pass in my application folder on my iMac. I installed High Sierra a few weeks ago and have had trouble with other apps including Filemaker - had to buy a new copy. I will appreciate your advice as to how to recover 1Pass.
    REPLY: Thanks for answering, Lars. I cannot open 1Password at all. I had a backup - a clone of my hard drive with SuperDuper. 1Password does not appear in the Applications folder where it used to and should be. I used Sierra before upgrading to High Sierra. I have a working copy of 1Password on my iPhone 6 - was using 1Password 6 before I lost it on my iMac. I have a second hard drive backup (for Time Machine) and have found 1Password 6 in the Applications folder but will wait for your directions as to how to restore. I appreciate your help.

• Glencliffe
    Glencliffe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for answering, Lars. I cannot open 1Password at all. I had a backup - a clone of my hard drive with SuperDuper. 1Password does not appear in the Applications folder where it used to be and should be. I used Sierra before upgrading to High Sierra. I have a working copy of 1Password on my iPhone 6 - was using 1Password 6 before I lost it on my iMac. I have a second hard drive backup (for Time Machine) and have found 1Password 6 in the Applications folder but will wait for your directions as to how to restore. I appreciate your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Glencliffe I'm glad to hear you've got a copy of your 1Password data on your iPhone 6! Can I ask: what method of sync were you using to keep the iPhone in sync with the copy of 1Password on your Mac? Depending on how up-to-date your iPhone's copy of your 1Password data is, we may simply be able to use that to "bootstrap" a new setup on High Sierra. However, to be sure of what's going on, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#WIY-23357-529]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

ref: WIY-23357-529

• Glencliffe
    Glencliffe
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry - I have a Mac and cannot figure out how to run diagnostics the way PC's do. If you can tell me how to do the diagnostic report I will gladly do it - have searched and all I get are directions to purchase products from stores. I have now wasted almost 2 days on this problem. Frankly I am about ready to give up and try another more reliable password app.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Glencliffe - I'm sorry you've been frustrated with this process; we're committed to helping you get back up and running. It shouldn't be this difficult, however. The instructions I gave you were for a Mac. Here they are again: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

I'm asking you for the diagnostics reports because they'll be the most reliable way for me to tell what's on your system and any problems that might be occurring, without having to pepper you with an endless stream of questions. Once I see what the diagnostics report and associated logs say, I'll be much better able to assist you in getting back up and running. Thanks for your patience.

This discussion has been closed.