I Cannot Setup My New Laptop...

Options

I have standalone licenses for 1Password for Windows, macOS and iOS.

I just upgraded my Windows laptop..I downloaded 1Password for Windows...i am being asked to sign into an account with a Master Password, a Secrete key, etc....I never had to to do this before for any flavour of 1Password the I own...I would appreciate assistance in installing 1Password like as I did in the past noting I "share" my vault through Dropbox.

Thx in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Joelc: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account you can sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

I've resent your license information via email, so just follow the instructions there to install the correct version and register the app.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Joelc
    Joelc
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, thank you for your assistance, I will take a look. I do have a few follow ups namely:

1. How does 1Password.com integrate / work with my current licensed versions of 1Password?

2. Will I continue to be able to sync my data through Dropbox (or private cloud devices)?

3. Why the subscription plan as I see this as nothing more than a money grab?

Thx!

• @Joelc: Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your questions read a bit like you're starting with the assumption that you have to switch to a 1Password membership, so I'm going to start with some clarification there. As brenty mentioned, there are ton of really great reasons to do that, but it's not a requirement if you've already purchased standalone licenses. Many of the benefits of a 1Password membership rely on 1Password.com's infrastructure so if syncing via Dropbox is a requirement for you, it may be a 1Password membership isn't for you. Of course, we'd love for you to give it a try and see for yourself, but ultimately it's your choice how to use 1Password. With that said, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

How does 1Password.com integrate / work with my current licensed versions of 1Password?

1Password.com is a wholly different way to use 1Password. You can bring your existing data along to a new 1Password.com account, and the user experience is similar in many ways. The extension continues to help you save and fill in your browser, and your data will sync between your devices like it always has (minus the setup and third-party sync service), but 1Password.com also allows us the freedom to offer some cool new stuff that wasn't possible with standalone vaults, like Travel Mode, Item History, and simplified sharing with a Family account.

Will I continue to be able to sync my data through Dropbox (or private cloud devices)?

Absolutely. You can stick with exactly what you've been using before, or you can migrate some data to a 1Password.com account and keep some in a standalone vault, if you'd like. The latter is a bit more of a fuss on Windows right now as you'd need to use two different apps to do so, but we're working on making that easier and you'll be able to bring your standalone vault and your 1Password.com account back together in the same app once 1Password 7 for Windows is ready to go. Of course, we think the best experience is to go all in with a 1Password membership, but as I said before, that choice is up to you.

Why the subscription plan as I see this as nothing more than a money grab?

If it were a money grab, we would need to stop offering standalone licenses to make it really work and we have no plans to do that. Yes, infrastructure like servers costs money and that's certainly a factor, but that's a fairly small part of the equation. The best explanation of why we built 1Password memberships and get so darned excited about them is really found in Dave's recent blog post on the subject. I'd add that some folks do actually prefer a subscription to a license. Smaller payments fit better into some budgets and make it easier to change your mind about a particular app or service since you're not paying a huge lump sum up front (though, of course, we hope everyone who tries 1Password stays). I'll admit I'm not always happy watching the amount of money that leaves my account at the beginning of each month disappear, but of all the services I pay monthly for 1Password is honestly the one I use the most. I see a lot of value there and really appreciate how easy it is for my folks to use (no more calls asking if I remember their Netflix password!), so it's more than worth it to me for the time saved alone, never mind everything else. I'd encourage you to give it a try and make your own value judgment. You may find 1Password.com solves some problems for you as well and, if not, well, you've got 30 days to change your mind without paying a cent. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.