Chrome Extension Disabled

Options

Lately, the 1Password Chrome Extension is periodically disabled with the message "This extension violates the Chrome Web Store Policy." Is there a way to stop this unwanted action?

1Password Version: 1.0.9.342
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension disabled

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dick_andersen: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Windows version 1 and version 3 of the extension were discontinued years ago and are not compatible with recent browser releases.

Whatever you do, DO NOT remove or change anything. I don't want you to lose any data. The best thing to do ultimately will be to sign up for a 1Password.com membership so you'll always have the latest version (among many other benefits), but since you're so far behind it may not be a straightforward transition.

I've sent you an email just now so I can get some more details about what you're working with, so please look for that and reply there so we can get things sorted out for you. :)

ref: DUU-22418-142

• pointingfinger
    pointingfinger
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. I never upgraded because a) I didn't want to spend the money and b) it has been working fine (until now) on my iPad, Android phone, and Windows 7 for years. Is there a free upgrade?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@pointingfinger: Upgrades are generally paid. Charging sustainable prices for our products is the only way there's anyone here to answer questions, or develop and test new versions in the first place. It's possible that you were were within the upgrade window depending on when you purchased, though it's been so long since we released 1Password 4 that I couldn't even tell you what that would have been at the time. 1Password 4 is no longer being actively developed anyway, in favour of 1Password 6 and the upcoming release of 1Password 7. So you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. And be sure to let us know if you have any questions or need help making the transition to the newer version. :)

• pointingfinger
    pointingfinger
    Community Member
    Options

ya ok, so you changed your revenue model at the expense of customers who supported you in the beginning. I never would have signed up if I knew it would someday cost me $3/month FOREVER. I paid a fair price for 1Password, I think it was about $40 at the time, and it served me well until now when ALL OF THE SUDDEN it just disappeared from Chrome. so now I'll say "good luck to you" but I hope you understand that I don't mean that sincerely. Ironically, this forum is probably the last password I'll save using your software.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

ya ok, so you changed your revenue model at the expense of customers who supported you in the beginning.

@pointingfinger: Nope. It's optional. It's your choice, and if you choose not to use a 1Password.com account, there is literally no additional expense for you.

I never would have signed up if I knew it would someday cost me $3/month FOREVER.

You can continue using what you've paid for.

I paid a fair price for 1Password, I think it was about $40 at the time, and it served me well until now when ALL OF THE SUDDEN it just disappeared from Chrome. so now I'll say "good luck to you" but I hope you understand that I don't mean that sincerely. Ironically, this forum is probably the last password I'll save using your software.

We developed 1Password for Windows version 1 in 2010. Chrome didn't even exist on the Mac at that time. A lot has changed since then. You can continue using the version you paid for, but it is not compatible with modern browsers, only those it was designed to support. We can't have developed compatibility with Chrome 60+ when all we had to work with was Chrome 20-30 or so. It's unreasonable to expect a piece of software that is 7 years old to work with a browser released today. That's just the reality. I think we did okay if you've been able to use it for so many years past when it was discontinued. I can't think of any other software I've been able to use for that long to get that kind of value out of it.

• pointingfinger
    pointingfinger
    Community Member
    Options

I can continue using what I paid for except...it continuously gets disabled in Chrome. It's hard to use something that is disabled.

"Chrome didn't even exist on the Mac at the time"
    I use Chrome and 1Password on Windows 7, I mentioned that, so I don't know what Mac has to do with anything. If you are looking for a piece of software that you've (I've) been able to use for that long, Windows 7 has been around since 2009. It still works, they even offered a free upgrade to Windows 10 for those interested AND I have several other software products, many older than 7 years, that I paid for, made by smaller companies, that still work. Sure they've released newer versions with new features, but the old versions STILL WORK.

Is there another upgrade offering that I am missing other than the $3/month perpetually-pay-you model!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can continue using what I paid for except...it continuously gets disabled in Chrome. It's hard to use something that is disabled.

@pointingfinger: We don't have control over Chrome's behaviour. You can always use an older version which is compatible, but that's obviously not recommended for security reasons.

"Chrome didn't even exist on the Mac at the time" I use Chrome and 1Password on Windows 7, I mentioned that, so I don't know what Mac has to do with anything.

I'm talking about the passage of time here. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

If you are looking for a piece of software that you've (I've) been able to use for that long, Windows 7 has been around since 2009. It still works, they even offered a free upgrade to Windows 10 for those interested AND I have several other software products, many older than 7 years, that I paid for, made by smaller companies, that still work. Sure they've released newer versions with new features, but the old versions STILL WORK.

Yep. And 1Password version 1 still works with the OSes and browsers it was designed for.

Is there another upgrade offering that I am missing other than the $3/month perpetually-pay-you model!

For all I know, your license may include 1Password 4 based on the time frame when you purchased it. Did you try it?

• pointingfinger
    pointingfinger
    Community Member
    Options

You have complete control over the behaviour of your software which you built to work with Chrome. I bought it in good faith, now it doesn't work. You offer no solution and you have been completely unapologetic. So, it doesn't matter. Time to end this thread, 1Password is dead to me.

• @pointingfinger: I understand you're frustrated here, but wanted hop in all the same because I can't help but notice that you haven't given 1Password 4 a try with your existing license. As brenty mentioned, there was a period of time where 1Password 4 was included with a 1Password 1 license purchase and it's always worth giving it a try with your existing license. This was a while ago and before the time many of us were here (definitely before my time), but there's no reason not to give it a go. You're operating under the impression that you have only one option and that may not be the case at all. :+1:

• pointingfinger
    pointingfinger
    Community Member
    Options

To the best of my recollection version 4 was a paid upgrade for me. I worked in IT and I'm the type who would have taken advantage of a free upgrade. I considered downloading it today to confirm that but wasn't sure how it would affect my current version. I decided that I didn't want to risk corrupting my data or pooching my license if the upgrade process failed so I took the safe route and moved my data into another password management program. Thanks for reaching out.

• @pointingfinger: Totally understand, though if you ever do decide to give it a try, you can save an extra copy of your data (generally called 1password.agilekeychain) in order to keep a backup. Also, if you were eligible for a free upgrade, your existing license key would work for both versions. No pressure, of course, but we'd love to see you back -- if not now, then maybe when 1Password 7 is ready to go? Either way, stay safe out there and keep using those strong, unique passwords, no matter where you store them. :chuffed:

• pointingfinger
    pointingfinger
    Community Member
    Options

Would you know if version 7 will only be available with the new $3 per month pricing model or will there also be a one time upgrade price from previous versions? I like 1password, just not at US$36 per year.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pointingfinger,

Standalone licenses (with local vaults) will be available for 1Password 7, if 1Password membership is not for you. Please let me know if it helps. Thanks! :+1:

• pointingfinger
    pointingfinger
    Community Member
    Options

That helps. I'll keep an ear open for the release of the standalone version. If the price is right then bundtkate might have saved a customer.

• pointingfinger
    pointingfinger
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thanks for the suggestion to try 1Password 4, much to my delight it accepted my license key and I've installed the newer Chrome extension which is working fine. I'll still keep an ear open for version 7's release. I'm glad to hear you guys are offering a standalone version again. Have a good one.

• @pointingfinger: It's no problem at all! It's tough to speak in absolutes here on the forum sometimes as we have less info about you than we might be able to ask for via e-mail, but we hate for y'all to miss out on opportunities, so you'll have to forgive us for some over-agressive vague nudging at times. :wink: I'm glad it worked out for you and hope you enjoy the new-to-you 1Password. We don't have any ETA on 1Password 7 right now, but we're working hard on it every day and hope to share more about it as it starts coming together, so definitely keep an eye out! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.