To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Keychain migration when moving to subscription formula

Didiko
Didiko
Community Member

Hello,

very long time user of 1P, I recently decided to switch from a keychain in Dropbox to your new subscription solution.
This works great but I would need to recover some elements from my "old" vault.
Is it possible to retrieve the "old" version of my vault (Dropbox keychain) in any way or, when moving to the new model, this keychain has been modified as well?
The reason I ask his question is because I hav emptied my wastebasket too quickly and would like to recover the deleted items. It was still in the wastebasket of the Dropbox keychain for sure but not anymore in the new 1P of course...
Thanks in advance for your assistance

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

If you've deleted your old 1Password records from Dropbox then you've lost your old passwords. :(

If you have a backup of your old 1Password data (keychain) then you can recover your passwords. The new subscription model prevents this sort of inadvertent data loss by keeping track of your deleted passwords.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Didiko: Thanks for reaching out! darrenNZ is correct that you my be out of luck if you've deleted your data, as we definitely don't have it...but Dropbox has a file restore feature that may help you:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/recover-deleted-files-folders

If you are able to restore your full OPVault or AgileKeychain vault there, you may be back in business. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

@brenty Thank you but I'm not sure that my question has been correctly understood.

The main point is: did the "transfer" from the 1P solution based on a Dropbox keychain (used by old 1P software) impact this file when moving to the subscription solution hosted on Agilebits servers if I'm not mistaken?

Apparently, when I still launch the "old" version of the software on my oldest Mac (based on Dropbox keychain then), I am seeing kind of "duplicate records" of everything but it is literally duplicate and not an old and a new version of my records...

Sorry for the long explanation but does this make sense to you?

Thanks in advance

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The main point is: did the "transfer" from the 1P solution based on a Dropbox keychain (used by old 1P software) impact this file when moving to the subscription solution hosted on Agilebits servers if I'm not mistaken?

@Didiko: Ah, thanks for clarifying. No. When you migrate your data to a 1Password.com account, 1Password asks you if you want to remove the local vault from 1Password. Even if you do this, that doesn't touch your vault in Dropbox; it just removes it from the app.

Apparently, when I still launch the "old" version of the software on my oldest Mac (based on Dropbox keychain then), I am seeing kind of "duplicate records" of everything but it is literally duplicate and not an old and a new version of my records... Sorry for the long explanation but does this make sense to you?

Are you maybe just looking at All Vaults? If you have both the original vault in the app and the new one, where you copied the same data, you'd have double of everything. Does that make sense?

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

@brenty Yes correct, you are right the "all vaults" choice was activated.

Unfortunately, even the "old" one shows en empty wastebasket, so I'm afraid that I've emptied both of them too quickly :(

Thanks for the clarifications.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Didiko,

Unfortunately, even the "old" one shows en empty wastebasket, so I'm afraid that I've emptied both of them too quickly :(

Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to find your missing 1Password data yet. So we can better suggest where else to look for it, please let us know which versions of 1Password and operating system you're using. Thanks in advance!

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

Thanks @sjk

My "old" Mac is a Mac Pro (early 2009) under OS Sierra 10.12 and I was using 1P ver 6.8.4 linked to a Keychain on Dropbox.

Recently, I purchased a Mac Mini (running latest OS High Sierra) and decided to move to the monthly subscription system hosted on Agilebits servers with the latest 1P application as well.

I was hoping to be able to recover old items which were in my original wastebasket for a long time but has been probably deleted a couple of weeks ago when I was sorting my things out before the migration.

The point is to find a way, or not, to recover these "old" items emptied from the wastebasket hosted in my Dropbox keychain.

Best regards,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Didiko: If you have old local vault backups hanging around, you may be able to restore from one of those to recover old data. Do you have backups of your 1Password data?

It doesn't allow you to go back in time now, but going forward, with a 1Password.com account, you'll have access to item history.

This discussion has been closed.