"ICloud sessions"

Options
igroucho
igroucho
Community Member

I's somewhat of a pain these repeated demands for logging in to iCloud, which are prompted when evoking 1P from within browsers. Is this normal behaviour?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10,13.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

iCloud is awful for this. Every time I navigate onto a different part of the Apple site, or go into an options/settings page, I get prompted to login again. This is a conscious decision by Apple and nothing to do with 1Password.

If I've misread your comment and you're talking about iOS and not macOS then you'll get occasional prompts to type your password for your iOS account and there's not much you can do to stop this.

• clancularius
    clancularius
    Community Member
    Options

I wrote in about this once before. Told something apple changed and I needed to check the "keep me signed in" and that would last for a month. That is no longer the case. Every time 1Password requires me to sign in on Safari I'm prompted to sign in again on iCloud.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 4.6.12.b3
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: forum-search:sign in

• igroucho
    igroucho
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@darrenNZ: no you've got me correct, the problem is within MacOS environment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@igroucho: Thanks for clarifying. Indeed, iCloud authentication is handled by Apple. We don't have any control over how often they ask you to login again. The only thing any of us can do is to check "keep me logged in". :blush:

• igroucho
    igroucho
    Community Member
    Options

Yes of course I've done that but to no avail...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@igroucho: The only other thing I can think of is that something is preventing the authentication token from being saved on your machine. Make sure you try it with Safari if you haven't already, and that you don't have something "cleaning up" and killing your session prematurely.

• jberry
    jberry
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

That has been happening to me again recently too. I had the problem a while back but it's started again recently.

One thing I note is that the handshake process never seems to complete. I get the web-based sign-in page, then a message that the session has been established or something, but then the page essentially hangs and never really seems to complete a final redirect or whatever.

• rudy
    edited December 2017
    Options

@jberry,

The way Apple designed the page it spins indefinitely. You're meant to close it manually after the callback URL gets called which sends the token back to the 1Password application to use.

Is your default browser set to something other than Safari? Its entirely possible that you were prompted for a handler by Chrome/Firefox when you first went to the page and the default selection is always the browser itself. It doesn't know how to handle the callback url at all, so it ends up just eating those requests.

Rudy

• jberry
    jberry
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy: no, my default browser is Safari. In any event, between the frequent (every couple of days) requests to re-establish the session, and then the seemingly broken page behavior, it gives a bad experience. I'm not so worried about myself, but it would be utterly baffling to somebody with less understanding of what's going on.

• jberry
    jberry
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy: off the top of my head, it seems like maybe you guys need an additional step. I haven't used that api, but can you redirect back to your page, which then might give a better "complete" experience before you then forward the token back to 1password? As it currently works, the tendency is to want to wait while it spins forever.

• @jberry,

I can't go into more detail at this time but the iCloud sync experience will be changing in the future.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.