Windows 10 Chrome Browser Extension is black when opened on an external monitor.

Options

Hello,

I am running the latest version of 1Password and removed/reinstalled the Chrome browser extension multiple times.

My issue is clearly tied to Windows 10 as I recently purchased a Win 10 laptop and this is the first time I've encountered this problem. I've been successfully using the chrome extension on Win 7 for a long time.

When Chrome is on one of my external monitors, the 1Password extension is black. I have no issues when chrome is on the primary laptop display. See the image below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8ks1iuevd433qn/1PasswordBlack.png?dl=0

Any ideas what is causing this? I do not have this issue with any other extensions.

Windows 10 Enterprise
Version 1607
OS Build 14393.1884

Chrome Version 63.0.3239.84

Cheers!

Jake

1Password Version: 6.8.483
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise version 1607
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Windows 10 Chrome Browser Extension

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jakelyman: Thanks for reaching out! I'll ask around more, but those of us discussing this earlier aren't able to reproduce this. The only thing I can think of is a 3rd party driver/app managing the display...and unfortunately that's not uncommon out of the box on Windows with some PC and graphics card vendors. And they aren't at all consistent or clear generally either. Do you have something running in the notification area that isn't part of Windows? A lot of times there will be some "graphics/display control panel" app there, but other times it's just happening behind the scenes and there's no exposed UI for it. To be clear, you're saying that 1Password mini is black only on the external display, and on the integrated display it works normally?

• jakelyman
    jakelyman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty : Thank you for looking into it. This is my first win 10 machine and I'm not impressed with the "display" aspect when it comes to external monitors. I'm seeing very strange behaviors...even when simply dragging windows between monitors. Wonky behavior.

You are correct, 1Password mini is black only on the external displays. On the integrated display it works normally.

There is nothing out of the normal in the notification area...certainly nothing relating to display.

Perhaps you could ease my pain somewhat? Is there a way to autofill webpages from the 1Password app itself?

Cheers,

Jake

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty : Thank you for looking into it. This is my first win 10 machine and I'm not impressed with the "display" aspect when it comes to external monitors. I'm seeing very strange behaviors...even when simply dragging windows between monitors. Wonky behavior.

@jakelyman: Yeah definitely. I'd look into driver updates, especially those for the display itself and the GPU. It sounds like there's either a bug with one of those, or some conflict between them (or with other software). It's sort of a needle in a haystack though, so I'm sorry I don't have a better suggestion. :(

You are correct, 1Password mini is black only on the external displays. On the integrated display it works normally.

Thanks for confirming. So far we're not able to reproduce this here, and I haven't seen something like that since Windows 98se, but we'll continue to look into it.

There is nothing out of the normal in the notification area...certainly nothing relating to display.

Thanks for checking. It's a bit daunting, but might be worth your while to check running processes in Task manager too to see if there's anything odd there. Not saying to kill them, but often you can find info on something unfamiliar with a Google search.

Perhaps you could ease my pain somewhat? Is there a way to autofill webpages from the 1Password app itself?

One thing that 1Password supports is filling using Ctrl \. If you press that on a webpage where you only have one matching login, 1Password will fill it without you having to see or select anything. On sites where you have multiple logins saved 1Password will offer you a list of these to choose from though...and while on the external monitor you of course won't be able to see that, this may help you in most situations.

• RussG
    RussG
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same thing happen for me. I am running Win 10 with two external monitors. When I tried to open the 1Password mini display from the Chrome extension on the first monitor it showed a completely black window. I pulled Chrome over to the second monitor, tried opening the mini display again and it displayed ok. I then pulled Chrome back over to the first monitor and it now displayed ok also.

The difference between the two monitors is:
    Monitor 2 (works always) - driven by the Intel HD GPU which is onboard the CPU - this is the same GPU used to drive the laptop monitor if I would use it.
    Monitor 1 (black screen initially) - driven by a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU
    Both monitors are similar LG 27"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RussG: Thanks for getting in touch! Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your setup. Unfortunately all of that is handled by the OS and your display drivers. Definitely make sure you have the latest versions of each, but also do you have other software that affects the display? For example, another user wrote in with a similar problem, and it was due to a driver they'd installed for an external display adapter. And personally I get an error when trying to run many apps on an external display, I think because the display's drivers don't have full support for some display technologies (mostly affects gaming and video apps though, not 1Password). Let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.