Unlock 1password on Mac with usb fingerprint dongle

Options
zasadnyy
zasadnyy
Community Member

Hi, I'm looking for fingerprint USB dongle to put into my Macbook Pro 2015 to unlock 1password like on my Android phone.

1) Is it possible?
2) What are fingerprint scanners supported?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @zasadnyy,

It is not possible. The only machines currently supported for fingerprint unlock are the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros with Touch ID.

Rudy

• deodat
    deodat
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, wondering if there is news in this domain. I'm so tired to type my password. And there is no chance I buy a new macbook pro. That's would be a very cool enhancement that would make our life much easier. Not sure most of your customers have bought the latest and so expensive mackbook pros.

• rudy
    Options

@deodat,

No, there are no plans to add support beyond Apple's Touch ID and Secure Enclave. USB Dongle based solutions are just not going to provide enough security for us to even consider them.

Rudy

• adnre1s
    adnre1s
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy so you will accept password input from USB keyboard but USB dongle does not provide enough security, cause various keyloggers are obviously not a thing as compared to some dongle based attack ? You do realize people actually use computers other than notebooks ?The experience of going from my MBP to iMac is pretty horrible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @adnre1s! Welcome to the forum!

I don't think that's a fair comparison: if we didn't allow users to type their passwords with a keyboard, most folks would not be able to use 1Password at all unless they have a mobile device with fingerprint recognition.

Also, it's true, as you say, that the risk of keyloggers exist, but this doesn't mean that we are willing to allow even more types of attack to potentially impact a user. Apple offers us tools to do this, so we are going to use the official tools provided whenever we can.

This discussion has been closed.