Very old password was made the "new" one, and I couldn't log in

jhk
jhk
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

Very odd. Using Sierra (BTW, updated to 10.13.2 later in the evening - but that was not the problem) on an iMac. Tried to log in to a favourite site, but it constantly refused, and then locked me out. On further examination, and comparing with my iPhone, I realized that my iMac was suddenly trying to use an old password. I had to reset to a new one, resynced (twice on the iPhone, because the first sync replaced the older password....??, but it all seems OK now. Using 1P 6.8.5 Beta2. Sometimes, I think I'd be better off not using betas..... :-(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jhk: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password unlocks using the Master Password you chose for the first vault/account you have setup in the app. Without knowing more details you've left out of your post it's hard to say for certain, but especially if you've used different versions of 1Password over time, you probably have setup different databases. So if you're now using one from a while back that would explain the "old" Master Password being used to unlock it. Let me know what you find!

• jhk
    jhk
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. I doubt that I was using an old database, as the numbers for logins, etc. matched across all devices. FYI, it was 6.8.5 beta2, OS 10.12.6 (at the time), extension 4.6.12.90 (That's what it is now after updating to 6.8.5 final). I believe I was using Opera, but it may have been Firefox. Always use wireless sync. - only!
    I only use one vault/account. Now, I will admit to being an old customer (coming up for 10 years), but I don't remember coming across this fault before. The password it tried to use was one back from what was actually the current one, as I found when checking the previously used passwords option. Anyway, I've reset to a new one for this site. I'll watch carefully, of course, to see if this happens again. If not, I suggest we forget about it ;-)

• Hi @jhk,

Is this a device that you hadn't used 1Password on in a long time? As in, is it possible that this device still had the old password when you unlocked it, and that when it performed the sync it picked the wrong password to make the latest password for that item?

That's the only scenario I can think of that would cause something like that to happen.

Rick

• jhk
    jhk
    Community Member

HI @rickfillion

No. I hadn't used the iMac for a while, but I had synced 1P with my iPhone (which had the most up-to-date data) before I actually logged into any site.

You know, "things happen" from time to time. I was really interested to see if anyone else had experienced a similar problem lately. If so, you would have had to have a look at your updated code!

Seasonal greetings!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, I hope you're having a wonderful holiday season as well! It sounds like you should be all set, but you did the right thing by getting in touch. And we're here if you ever need us. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.