Two Versions On MacBook

Options
jhoufek
jhoufek
Community Member

I currently have two versions of 1Password on my machine. One was downloaded from the App store (shows as 1Password V6.8.4 (684000), and one subsequently downloaded from Agilebits (shows as 1Password6 V6.8.4 (684001). I have been using the Agilebits version to set up all of my new password accounts, because I prefer to use that to the Apple Store version. All of my logins, etc. appear to be identical on both versions. So I now have a few questions:

1. Obviously, I don't want to be charged for both versions. I am within the 30 day window for both versions. Can I "cancel" the Apple Store version and just continue with the AB version ? I have already signed up for a yearly membership with AB, although no charges to my card have been made at this point as I'm within that 30 day trial period.

2. If I delete the Apple Store version (drag to trash, no "app delete" apps used), will that leave the AB version fully intact and I can proceed to use that one as my sole version ? I'm assuming that regardless of which version I use, I only have one secret key and one master password at the AB end of things. Is that correct.

3. Finally, I want to confirm what I think I read in this forum which is that backups are automatic with the current versions of the app, and that I no longer have backups on my laptop. This is confusing, because under ~/Library/Containers, etc.....(which is apparently the Apple Store Version) I DO show one backup file, probably from the first day I used that version before switching to the AB version. Why is that there, if all backups are now kept on AB's servers ?? Checking the AB version backup location of ~Library/Application Support, etc, I don't find any Backups file, which would be consistent with the concept of my backups being at AB.

Thanks in advance for your help !!

1Password Version: See Above !
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.2
Sync Type: (No sync button. I assume AB does this ?)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I currently have two versions of 1Password on my machine. One was downloaded from the App store (shows as 1Password V6.8.4 (684000), and one subsequently downloaded from Agilebits (shows as 1Password6 V6.8.4 (684001). I have been using the Agilebits version to set up all of my new password accounts, because I prefer to use that to the Apple Store version.

@jhoufek: I'm not sure I understand why you've installed and used both, so please clarify if that's important. You should really use one or the other to avoid confusion.

All of my logins, etc. appear to be identical on both versions. So I now have a few questions:

That's good to know. To be clear, your 1Password data is stored separately from the app, so you can just drag the one you don't want to use to the Trash and restart your Mac. Just DO NOT use a "cleaner" app.

Obviously, I don't want to be charged for both versions. I am within the 30 day window for both versions. Can I "cancel" the Apple Store version and just continue with the AB version ? I have already signed up for a yearly membership with AB, although no charges to my card have been made at this point as I'm within that 30 day trial period.

There are no separate charges for different versions with a 1Password.com membership. Everything is included. So unless you have signed up for multiple 1Password.com memberships, there's nothing else you need to do.

If I delete the Apple Store version (drag to trash, no "app delete" apps used), will that leave the AB version fully intact and I can proceed to use that one as my sole version ? I'm assuming that regardless of which version I use, I only have one secret key and one master password at the AB end of things. Is that correct.

Assuming all of that is true, yes, that will do it for you. :)

Finally, I want to confirm what I think I read in this forum which is that backups are automatic with the current versions of the app, and that I no longer have backups on my laptop. This is confusing, because under ~/Library/Containers, etc.....(which is apparently the Apple Store Version) I DO show one backup file, probably from the first day I used that version before switching to the AB version. Why is that there, if all backups are now kept on AB's servers ?? Checking the AB version backup location of ~Library/Application Support, etc, I don't find any Backups file, which would be consistent with the concept of my backups being at AB. Thanks in advance for your help !!

Sure thing! 1Password, if you were using it with local vaults (not part of a 1Password.com account) at at point, will save local backups of the data. But with a 1Password.com account everything is automatically backed up on the server, including item history, so the only thing you need to do is keep your Emergency Kit so you'll always be able to access your data.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jhoufek
    jhoufek
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks, Brenty ! The reason for the two versions was operator ignorance. I read about the App, went to the Apple Store by habit, and installed that version. Then I began reading more on the AB site and just thought it made more sense to use the version that came from the owner of the software, so downloaded the AB version. I (falsely) assumed that when I installed the AB version it would replace the Apple Store version, but of course that didn’t happen, which led to my questions above.
    Again, thank you for all the clarifications !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jhoufek: Ah, that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion there! Were you able to get down to just a single copy okay? If so, you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :)

• jhoufek
    jhoufek
    Community Member
    Options

It’s all good ! Thanks again !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! Thanks for letting me know. Cheers! :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.