My password has been hacked [false alarm, Master Password working again after Mac restart]

jefferis
jefferis
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

My master password has been changed without my knowledge. I cannot log in to my 1P app or my master account.
I am not sure what is happening or how it can be happening. This is very concerning because it has all my passwords for my financial accounts.
I have a slow internet connection.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.4 (684001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: windows current and mac current
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: agilebits

Comments

• jefferis
    jefferis
    Community Member

weird, the password works from my android device, but not my laptop??

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jefferis: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! To be clear, unless you've used a very weak password or given it to someone, you haven't been "hacked". I'm glad to hear that you were able to enter the correct Master Password to access you data on your Android device though, and it sounds like maybe you just have things setup differently on the Mac. Do you have all of your data in 1Password for Android? Also, have you perhaps used different versions of 1Password on your Mac at different times. You might try an "old" Master Password there, in case you've setup different databases. Let me know what you find! :)

• jefferis
    jefferis
    Community Member

Weird. I rebooted my laptop and 1P worked just fine with my master password. I am not sure what happened. Seemed like it was not releasing something before or clearing the submission. Or my connection to the Internet was spotty... would that block the authentication?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jefferis - no, unlocking of 1Password for Mac occurs entirely on your local device. Even being in a lead-lined room (which I presume you weren't, LOL) wouldn't affect your ability to unlock 1Password. I'm not certain what might've gone wrong, but from your description(s), it sounds as if perhaps a key on your keyboard was stuck or perhaps something similar? Either way, if it's working again, I would tend to consider this a one-off; 1Password cannot change your Master Password by itself and as brenty said, if you don't have either a) a very weak and easy-to-guess Master Password or a habit of giving it out to other people, it's doubtful you've been hacked.

This discussion has been closed.