Secure Input put in place by hidden 1Password still causing macOS dictation to stop working

Options
Janosh
Janosh
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

For months I've been having trouble using macOS dictation. Every so often, the microphone wouldn't come up when hitting the dictation keyboard shortcut. I always thought this was due to some internal bug on macOS's part since it would start working again if I restarted my machine.

Just now it's been bugging me again and I decided to research this in more depth. After fiddling around with my settings to no avail, I tried closing apps one by one to see if that might have any effect on the problem. And it did indeed. As soon as I closed 1Password, dictation started working again. I did a Google search to confirm this and discovered that others have noticed this behavior and reported it to 1Password as far back as 2012 with the release of Mountain Lion.

Five years and five macOS updates later, the problem still doesn't seem to be fixed. Thinking back on how many times I was unable to find the source of this problem and had to type stuff out because I had unsaved changes and couldn't power down my mac, this is really bothering me. Could you please take another look into this and fix it?

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @Janosh,

1Password will always enable secure input if you have an item in edit mode. Upon exiting edit mode it closes its secure input connection.

This isn't a bug, this is a conscious decision on our part.

If you want to use dictation you will need to ensure that you don't have any items in edit mode in 1Password before attempting to dictate.

Rudy

• Janosh
    Janosh
    Community Member
    Options

I see, thanks for clearing that up! I was under the impression that this happened also without an item currently being edited, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. I'll keep an eye on it for now.

• Sounds good. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.