Saving photo in 1Password

Options
bugmo
bugmo
Community Member

I scanned a copy of my passport in jpg format and saved it as an attachment to my passport entry. Later I (successfully) opened the image, but when I closed it and tried to open it a second time, nothing happened. I verified this with some other entries containing photos. If I shut down 1Password and reopen it, I can again view the photo once but a second try fails. "Quick Look" and "Show in Finder" also fail on a second attempt.

1Password Version: 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @bugmo,

You'll want to update to 6.8.5 and attempt that test again.

Rudy

• bugmo
    bugmo
    Community Member
    Options

@Rudy, updating to 6.8.5 did fix the problem for passports, however oddly enough the problem still exists for drivers licenses.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bugmo - did you happen to restart your Mac after updating?

• bugmo
    bugmo
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I did, and I just restarted again to be sure. I also deleted the attachment and added it again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@bugmo: Thanks for trying that. If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you're having trouble viewing an attachment after adding it. Is that correct? If that's the case, it may simply be that the data is damaged. Are you able to show it in Finder?

• bugmo
    bugmo
    Community Member
    Options

Any of the options (quick look, open, show in finder) work once, but subsequent attempts do not work. Restarting 1Password will again allow one look at the attachment. This would seem to argue that the file itself is not damaged. Oddly, this seems to occur only with the "Drivers Licenses" category (I haven't tried all of the categories but I do know that "Secure Note" and "Passports" work correctly).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bugmo So, I'm wondering if you'd be willing to do a little testing. We can't reproduce the error you're seeing here (though of course we believe you). That's why I'd like to see a few things. What happens if you try to add a different file as an attachment. Does that make any difference? Try a couple of varying types and see if anything changes. Any other narrowing-down of what works and what doesn't will also be of help.

• bugmo
    bugmo
    Community Member
    Options

pdf and xls work every time, txt and jpg only work once.

• bugmo
    bugmo
    Community Member
    Options

BTW this is the AgileBits Store version, not the Apple App Store version. About 1Password gives "1Password 6/Version 6.8.5 (685004)/AgileBits Store".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bugmo: Thanks for letting us know! Can you tell me what you meant by this though?

pdf and xls work every time, txt and jpg only work once.

What are the exact steps you're taking? That sounds like you're saying that you can Quick Look the JPG the first time, but not second, third, etc. I'm not seeing that at all with a Drivers License or other items — or, rather, I am seeing the JPG when I use Quick Look multiple times. Are you clicking? Using the keyboard? What if you create a new item?

• bugmo
    bugmo
    Community Member
    Options

That is correct, I can quick look once but not again until 1Password is restarted, and Drivers License is the only category (that I'm using) that exhibits this behavior. I'm using the mouse to click the "quick look" button that appears when you mouse over the attachment entry. By "What happens if you create a new item?" I assume you mean creating a new Drivers License item? Yes, I've tried that and the new item exhibits the same behavior.

• bugmo
    bugmo
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

This message appears in agilebits.onepassword4-helper.log on the second try:

Sun Dec 24 15:49:49 2017| 685004 [UI:(Secondary Thread 0x7fd02564d510):<OPItemAttachment (646B40AB0B924B14BC39B1CEC8539FDB) 0x7fd02559bb70>] E exportToCacheDirectory | Unable to create temporary file file:///var/folders/0l/1gx_5jl15dq57nsjq2c054mm0000gq/T/com.agilebits.Attachments.noindex/07B9D44CFC5F4472BC78F4E8ACA6EFD2/646B40AB0B924B14BC39B1CEC8539FDB/License.jpg for decrypted attachment: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “License.jpg” in the folder “646B40AB0B924B14BC39B1CEC8539FDB”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/var/folders/0l/1gx_5jl15dq57nsjq2c054mm0000gq/T/com.agilebits.Attachments.noindex/07B9D44CFC5F4472BC78F4E8ACA6EFD2/646B40AB0B924B14BC39B1CEC8539FDB/License.jpg, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fd026902e20 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted"}}

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@bugmo: Ah, thank you! That seems pretty clear: it's a permissions issue. I couldn't tell you why that might be messed up on your system, but you may want to try repairing them using the 1Password Troubleshooting Tool:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

If that doesn't help, it may be something deeper that needs to be addressed at the OS level. In that case, booting into recovery mode (⌘ R on boot) will let you run Disk Utility on your boot drive to try to repair it. Anything beyond that and you'll need help from Apple, as there's no good reason why 1Password (or any app) should have trouble reading or writing its own temp files.

ref: OPM-5624

• bugmo
    bugmo
    Community Member
    Options

The 1P tool didn't help, nor did repairing the disk (BTW the repair procedure differs for APFS volumes).

It's definitely something to do with the particular file I'm trying to attach. I scanned the document again and attached it to a secure note and I get the same behavior as before. Weird. I'm gonna live with it for now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bugmo: Thanks for getting back to me. It's too early to say for sure, but there does seem to be a similarity to an issue we're tracking with downloading files locally. We do hope to have a fix for that when 6.8.6 is released, so perhaps that will help in your case by extension as well. I'm sorry I don't have anything more definitive to offer you at this time, but we'll continue to look into this too.

This discussion has been closed.