How do I "give" a password to another team member?

As CTO I often create accounts for my colleagues and create an initial password for them. Then I want to share the credentials with them securely via 1Password. Afterwards they should be able to change the password and I do not want their new password - how would I do this with 1Password for Teams?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tompson,

The easiest way to do that would be with the "Send a Copy..." feature which is in beta (beta features require the Pro plan). When you've enabled beta features, you can create the item in your own vault, then use the Share button on the web to Send a Copy to another user which will automatically put the item into their Personal vault. You can then delete your copy.

The other approach is a shared vault, which works, but can be a little cumbersome.

Rick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tompson: Rick says "cumbersome" because 1Password Teams has spoiled us a little. ;)

In practice, sharing a vault is actually really easy, and once you've done so you can share additional items in both directions without having to setup a new share with that person. Just something to consider. :)

• tompson
    tompson
    Community Member

yeah, we would use shared vaults for different groups in our company, that is another use case

in this use case I just want to initially generate a password for a user and after giving it to him I do not want to know it anymore

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tompson: I hear you. The problem is that they can't use one of those Men In Black dealies to erase your memory. It's impossible to unshare a secret. So the next best thing is for you to give it to them, and then they can change the password on their own and not tell you. The easiest way is for them to have it in their Personal/Private vault, since only they have access to it. Any password change saved there will not be shared with anyone else.

This discussion has been closed.