iCloud Session Expired: repeated sign-in prompts syncing with iCloud [addressed in version 6.8.6]

Lars
Lars
1Password Alumni
edited January 2018 in Mac

AgileBits Update:

1Password for Mac version 6.8.6 is now available to everyone, which should resolve this issue going forward.

Important: Since it is now using Apple's native iCloud frameworks through macOS, just make sure you're signed into the correct iCloud account in System Preferences, and that you have iCloud Drive enabled.

ORIGINAL POST

We have identified a new issue with iCloud authorization.

The issue appears for some users under the following conditions:

• You are using iCloud as your sync method
  • Your copy of 1Password for Mac is from us and not the Mac App Store.

A small percentage of users who fit both of the above criteria are getting pop-ups requiring them to reauthenticate with iCloud far more frequently than they should be (some as frequently as every hour or so).

If you're affected by this issue, please - for now - just continue to re-authenticate whenever prompted, and we hope to have a solution for you as quickly as possible.

We're looking into what may have changed to cause the issue, as it's not affecting all users and it's also new. For the moment, however, we don't have anything to report, and there seems to be no workaround except to sign in when prompted.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work towards a solution that doesn't involve you all signing into iCloud several times a day. If there's any good news here, it's that this is merely annoying and time-consuming; your 1Password data remains secure.

Comments

• Neurus
    Neurus
    Community Member

Adding info since I also suffer from the same problem.

This started happening when I cloned my Sierra drive, and restored my Account using the Migration Assistant in a new machine (From MBP 2014 to MBP 2016 w/Touchbar). I basically did an erase/install on the new machine, installed High Sierra fresh, then proceeded to restore my account from a clone using migration assistant.

This almost always triggers a machine gun of iCloud prompts in the weirdest places, but it tends to settle down after a few days.

1pwd keeps asking every morning. I have tried all I could read online (there are a bunch of suggestions here and by just using any search engine, I’m clearly not the only one).

I use Safari as my default, but have Chrome as well. Unlike @SausalitoDog I didn’t try to use Chrome “first thing in the morning”, I will tomorrow if I remember (tough, since I rarely use it).

I do make sure the [✓] Stay Signed is checked when I log in to iCloud, tho I did try not checking a bunch of times, to see if it made a difference.

My guess it that some crappy iCloud API changed and the token is not correctly saved, so it’s resorting to the default 8-hour token. But I am known for being wrong, so don’t quote me on that :)

My 1pwd info:

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.5 (685004)
    AgileBits Store

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Neurus: Thanks for the feedback on this! I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but we'll continue to work with Apple to get this figured out. :blush:

• AlanTheBeast
    AlanTheBeast
    Community Member

Definitely still having this issue since installing 10.13.2 (clean install due to other issues) on this iMac. I "de-sync'd" and then re-sync'd to iCloud to attempt resolution, but have to re-sign in at least daily (probably twice but haven't been paying that much attention to it).

Oddly, same OS, same 1Password at work and no issue at all.

So I'll be syncing via Dropbox again and hope this gets resolved. I'll check back in in a couple months.

• @AlanTheBeast,

We sure hope it doesn't take that long, but at this point Apple is on Christmas vacation for the remainder of the year.

Rudy

• AlanTheBeast
    AlanTheBeast
    Community Member

Thanks Rudy. I've set a reminder to check in by 2018-01-15.

• woodztream
    woodztream
    Community Member

Hi, I've been having this problem on my MacBook Pro for the better part of this year. Just got a new iMac a couple of days ago, clean install, same problem. Really hoping this will be resolved, it's super annoying! :(

• bertgillott
    bertgillott
    Community Member

Add me to the list of those having this same problem. I don't remember if I purchased the app from the Apple Store or from you directly. However, in the meantime, I've switched to DropBox. Thanks!

• matfx
    matfx
    Community Member

I have been experiencing that issue for several weeks too... I think I have bought it from you guys but that was a few years ago.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Add me to the list of those having this same problem. I don't remember if I purchased the app from the Apple Store or from you directly. However, in the meantime, I've switched to DropBox. Thanks!

@bertgillott: Thanks for letting us know! I don't believe we've had any reports of the Mac App Store version being affected. Glad that Dropbox is working well for you. Have a wonderful Christmas! :)

• Hantaro
    Hantaro
    Community Member

Me too! I've being experiencing the issue for some months now. I bought it long time ago on your website, not on the AppStore.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlanTheBeast, @woodztream, @matfx: Sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully we'll be able to figure this out. In the mean time, Dropbox sync is a pretty easy alternative. Thanks for your patience! :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Hantaro: Thanks for confirming. That seems to be the common element, something with how CloudKitJS authentication is handled now.

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member

Same problem as well. Very annoying!

• Neurus
    Neurus
    Community Member

@bertgillott you can always open 1pwd and check the About prompt. It says if you have the AppStore or direct version. I have the feeling this is a direct version problem only.

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.5 (685004)
    AgileBits Store

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@Shadow, @Neurus: I believe that is the case as well, since CloudKitJS (which non-App Store apps can use) is a bit different than CloudKit (App Store). We'll get to the bottom of this. Thanks for your patience. :blush:

• coachbb94
    coachbb94
    Community Member

I recently switched syncing from Dropbox to iCloud because after adding a password from my Mac the new password would not sync to my IOS devices. Making the change resolved the syncing problem but now I am getting this annoying login message. I sure hope you can find a fix for this problem soon. Thanks for posting the notice that it is a problem outside of my control.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@coachbb94: Likewise, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the inconvenience there, but I'm glad that this information helped.

However, I'd be happy to help you with Dropbox in the mean time. Can you tell me more about where you were running into trouble there? Were you maybe using the older AgileKeychain format?

• kecinzer
    kecinzer
    Community Member

Thanks for this info. I have the same problem on 2 Macs. One with macOS 10.12.6 and second with macOS 10.13.2. I have to reauthorize every day.
    I'm glad that you working on fix.
    I can switch to Dropbox sync, but I use Google Drive as my storage.

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member

I understand that if we purchased from the Apple store, we would not have this problem. Do you offer some type of discount code so that we can purchase from the Apple store to resolve this problem? At this point, I’m willing to pay for another license if it will finally resolve this issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kecinzer: Nothing wrong with using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data in the mean time though. That will work across all platforms. But regardless we'll continue to work with Apple to get this sorted out. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Shadow: No. And it isn't possible for us to give App Store discounts, as that's owned and operated by Apple. You can continue using iCloud and sign in when Apple asks you to, or use another sync method though. :)

• glrnet
    glrnet
    Community Member

Same issue here and have changed my 2 step authentication password for 1 Password (26th Dec).
    iMac
    Firefox 58.0b12 (64-bit)
    1Password 6
    Version 6.8.5 (685004)
    AgileBits Store
    Sierra 10.12.6
    Also occurs on MBP but this runs on High Sierra.

• jebworks
    jebworks
    Community Member

Yep, same issue since I switched from Dropbox to iCloud sync a few days ago. Probably unrelated and a mere coincidence, but since about that same time I have problems with sync on Chrome where the 1Password extension is installed. Every time I open the browser again I'm logged out of every site I have open in my tabs, including Gmail, GSuite, Facebook. Again, not saying it has anything to do with 1Password but strange indeed.

• MarLor
    MarLor
    Community Member

I just migrated my data from my old iMac (12,1) to my new iMac (18,3) and now my new iMac asks me to authenticate. My old one keeps humming along without those annoying pop-ups.

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.5 (685004)
    AgileBits Store
    iMac Retina 5K, 2017

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member

That is exactly what happen to me as well. Once I switched to my new Mac, that’s when the issue started with me as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@glrnet, @Shadow: Thanks for letting us know! I'm sorry for the inconvenience while we look into this with Apple. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MarLor: Are you running the exact same version of 1Password on the other Mac?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jebworks: If I understand you correctly, it does sound like the browser issue is unrelated, if the websites are just not maintaining you're login session when you restart the browser. That's normally handled using cookies, and that's not something 1Password interacts with at all. But certainly if you are clearing, resetting, or preventing those from being saved in the first place that will happen.

Regarding the iCloud authentication issue, switching back to Dropbox may be the best thing until the iCloud issue can be resolved. :blush:

• jebworks
    jebworks
    Community Member

Thanks. I also thought it was just a coincidence. It’s a Chrome sync issue.

This discussion has been closed.