iCloud Session Expired: repeated sign-in prompts syncing with iCloud [addressed in version 6.8.6]

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@chrisbrandhorst: Likewise, thanks for sharing these details! That's really weird. I guess that could help explain why this isn't affecting everyone. Regardless, if the changes we're making can eliminate this problem completely without all of us having to deal with cookies and browser cache cleaning, I think we'll all be happy with that. Cheers!

• johnarne
    johnarne
    Community Member
    Options

In the last couple of days I've got a new window popping up every time I use 1password in any way. I am afriad to even use 1password now, because I don't want any virus or other treaths to enter my mac! Se the screendump attached!

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.2
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Fake login window pops up every time I try to use 1 password (mac desktop version)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnarne - That's not a fake login window (at least, it does not appear to be one); it looks like the iCloud authentication window you must sign into with your Apple ID, if you're using A) iCloud as your sync method, and B) 1Password for Mac downloaded from us instead of from the Mac App Store. If you meet both these qualifiers, then this is a legitimate request for authentication to continue using iCloud. So, don't panic that you're being phished or hacked. :)

However, as you can see (I've merged your post with the main thread on this) we're currently experiencing a problem with this; for some reason, iCloud is now - for some users only - requiring re-authentication much more frequently than it should. We've got a fix for this started, and it's in testing now. Hopefully it will be proven solid and we can release it soon. In the meantime, your choices for this are

1. Just continue signing in, whenever you get asked. Yes, it's inconvenient and wastes time, but it shouldn't be for too much longer.
    2. Switch your sync method to Dropbox. There are no current issues of this nature with Dropbox sync.
    3. Open a 1Password membership/account. This is the best way to use 1Password currently, but it does require an annual or monthly subscription.

Sorry you've been affected by this bug, and we hope to have a more-permanent solution on the way for those affected who'd like to continue using iCloud as their sync method.

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I saw the pinned iCloud workaround yesterday and noticed something.

**If I login to iCloud.com (full iCloud.com site not the authentication site) and use 2-factor authentication and tell Apple to trust my computer it may be a fix for this issue.
    I am also keeping a pin with iCloud.com open but I can’t see how that would work...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BoxCar - thanks for the additional information. We're actually in the process of early-testing a fix internally for this. Nothing to release or even announce at this time, but assuming all goes well, this shouldn't be much longer. We hope. :) Thanks for your patience, and keep an eye on the updates!

• chrisbrandhorst
    chrisbrandhorst
    Community Member
    Options

To follow up: today I still don't have to re-authenticate and it's still syncing! Looks like the clearing of all the related cookies fixes the issue, for me at least :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrisbrandhorst: That's so weird, yet so great. Thank you again for sharing this workaround! :)

• jvfnyc
    jvfnyc
    Community Member
    Options

I've been having similar and regular issues for the past several days. I was suspicious about the repeated iCloud authentication demands so finally came here and can see this is a problem for more than just me. I authenticated AGAIN with iCloud but got an error message on my laptop. So I deleted and reinstalled my browser extensions from within the preference panel of the 1Password app and am operating smoothly so far. Not sure how long that will last but I thought I'd share.

• Hileotech
    Hileotech
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to hear so many people having this issue... just an update to what I wrote some days ago in this thread: I’ve been having this issue for some days and now it’s gone. All alone, without any tweak/workarounds, no new app/software installed, no update to MacOS, nothing at all.
    I’m happy with it, of course, but I thought it would be useful to Devs and maybe other people to know that this problem might be related to some Apple-only-side stuff. Just my opinion, of course.

• websolutions
    websolutions
    Community Member
    Options

Removing all cookies with "apple" and "icloud" in the name also stops icloud to ask for a password every time I use 1Password for me. Thanks to chrisbrandhorst!

• krzyzanowskim
    krzyzanowskim
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like it stopped working at all as of today. The auth ends up with "Sorry, we could not process your request" from https://idmsa.apple.com/auth ;-(

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW I haven't experienced this issue since Friday morning. I don't recall doing anything differently (I didn't clear cookies or anything else), but I haven't been asked to re-auth to iCloud. Fingers crossed!

• AUSFestivus
    AUSFestivus
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that I am no longer witnessing this behaviour either.
    No changes to my browser or 1password that I am able to see.

Something Apple changed on their side it seems.

• gocisapron
    gocisapron
    Community Member
    Options

I am still getting these prompts. I haven't tried the cookie-clearing method though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@AUSFestivus, @fongd, @jvfnyc, @Hileotech: Thanks for letting us know! Glad to hear things are working more smoothly for you now. We can't take credit for that, as we're still working on an update that should help. Even if it proves to be unnecessary at this time, any improvements we make may help prevent issues down the road. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@krzyzanowskim, @gocisapron: Definitely give chrisbrandhorst 's method a try. Even if it isn't strictly necessary at this point, it may be that it helps clear things up if something is cached from before. Let us know how it goes! :)

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

I still have the issue.

• gocisapron
    gocisapron
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I'm not sure I understand his method. I thought cookies were specific to a browser? Should I remove Safari's cookies? Or does 1Password have its own cookies?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Shadow: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you try the suggestion above?

• dhbkpme05
    dhbkpme05
    Community Member
    Options

The solution that worked for me was authenticating with iCloud in my default browser and leaving that tab open/pinned. Pinning that browser tab on one device has resolved the issue across all my devices. Thanks, @Ozymandias!

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

I don't understand what the solution is. Clearing the cookies on Chrome? How do you clear iCloud cookies?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Shadow and also @dhbkpme05 -- none of this has been verified to be a tested solution for the issue. It may turn out to be a functional workaround -- as it has for some people in this thread -- but others continue to have the problem. Clearing cookies on Chrome can be done via this method:

• At the top right, click More (the triple-dot menu at top right) and then Settings.
    • At the bottom, click Advanced.
    • Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
    • Click Cookies.
    • Under "All cookies and site data," search for the website's name.
    • To the right of the site, click Remove (trash).

You would want to look for any cookies from icloud.com and perhaps apple.com -- I can't really say, because again, although this appears to be working for some people, we're not sure why clearing cookies should do this - or which cookies do it - and we don't think it will be a permanent solution.

• julianrose
    julianrose
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I have Chrome but I don't use it, so I'm not sure how effective clearing cookies would be. The suggestion by @dhbkpme05 seems like it would work though so I'll try that and get back with whether it works or not.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@julianrose - if you don't use Chrome, clearing cookies there won't be effective at all. You might try the same in whatever your browser-of-choice is, but again -- we have not confirmed this to be a durable fix for this and in fact we suspect it is NOT. Feel free to give it a whirl, but don't get your hopes up too high. As I mentioned in the updated original post in this thread, we are currently internally testing a more-permanent solution that doesn't involve any jiggering of cookies in browsers. Stay tuned, and hopefully we'll have some good news for everyone soon. :)

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

Followed the instructions above. Did not find any cookies with the name iCloud or Apple in my Chrome browser. Maybe that's the problem. Should I have an iCloud cookie?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Shadow No, not necessarily. You certainly COULD have such, but it's not a "should" situation. And having one won't necessarily change anything.

• julianrose
    julianrose
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars all right, gotcha. Looking forward to the next release!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@julianrose - believe me, so are we. ;)

• Frameshop
    Frameshop
    Community Member
    Options

My iCloud authentication issue has ended (i.e. iCloud authentication no longer requested daily) without any action from myself. Strange but pleasing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Frameshop: Happy to hear it! Thanks for the update. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.