Sync "none" vs. with "folder" on a single device with one user

drlevbk
drlevbk
Community Member

What is the difference between sync "none" and "with folder" in Preferences in my setting of using 1Password 6 for Mac on a single Mac Book Air with one user? I just downloaded 1Password 6 and at the end of 30 days trial will purchase single stand alone license. The manual upgrade from 1Password 6 after I transferred with flash drive agilekeychain file from older Mac worked with no problem.

I understand that if and when I add another device, I will have to choose sync option and will probably use sync "with Dropbox" again. However, for now with one user and one device what I will be syncing? Setting preferences, I selected sync "with folder" and the pathway for syncing shows my 1Password agilekeychain as the final destination. So, what would happened if I selected "none" - would 1Password agilekeychain file not be updated for new and modified logins in this case? This is a bit confusing.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Firefox 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS 10.13.2
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:Sync "none" vs. with "folder" on a single device

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drlevbk: "None" means that 1Password not syncing at all. "Folder" is for syncing with a specific local folder on your Mac.. With "None", an external vault will not be used at all, only 1Password's internal database. If you decide to sync with other devices later on, all you need to do is configure Dropbox sync on each of them and you'll be good to go. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member

I am still not quite clear. In my current setting with one user, one device, one primary vault and 1Password 6 for Mac in 30 days trial what should I select in Preferences: "none" or "sync with folder"? If I understand correctly, because "sync with folder" means syncing to external folder and the updating of the internal database (1Password agilekeychain) should continue regardless the choice of syncing, for my current situation it does not make any difference if I select for sync "none" or "with folder", i.e. the functionality of 1Password, updating the internal database and backups will be unaffected by my choice of syncing because no external syncing will occur under either of two selections. Is it correct?

• rudy
    edited December 2017

@drlevbk,

The internal database is not 1Password.agilekeychain at all.

It is best to think of agilekeychain and opvault as interchanges between copies of 1Password. You would use that to sync your data from your Mac to your Phone and vice versa. If you have sync set to none, no sync is happening to any agilekeychain or opvault file. It exists solely in the sqlite database in the 1Password support directory.

Backups happen independent of any sync settings.

Rudy

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member

I fully recognize that I have limited understanding of underlying mechanics of 1Password workings including syncing. Still, I am puzzled why is so difficult to get a straight answer to the posted question. Please, look at my posting prior to the reply and see if my main question was answered, addressed or even acknowledged. So, I paste it here again verbatim: "In my current setting with one user, one device, one primary vault and 1Password 6 for Mac in 30 days trial what should I select in Preferences: "none" or "sync with folder"?". "Sync with folder" was highlighted be default after I opened downloaded 1Password 6 and directed it the the location of the transferred old agilekeychain - so, that what I selected in Preferences.

Again, in other words in my setting with one device and no external syncing how the functionality of 1Password will be affected if I select "none" or syncing "with folder".

I also must notice that I am Mac user from the very first classic Macintosh (I believe in 1981) and 1Password user for 10 years. If I do not understand the option "sync to folder" there is probably something wrong with the system design and selection of preferences that should be intuitive and self explanatory. Never before after years of using 1Password 3 for Mac I had to contact repeatedly Support and Forum for help to assist me with the understanding of the migration and preference options. Where, for example, is the sync folder in my setting with one device and no external syncing after I selected "sync with folder" by default?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I fully recognize that I have limited understanding of underlying mechanics of 1Password workings including syncing. Still, I am puzzled why is so difficult to get a straight answer to the posted question. Please, look at my posting prior to the reply and see if my main question was answered, addressed or even acknowledged.

@drlevbk: I gave you a very straightforward answer originally:

@drlevbk: "None" means that 1Password not syncing at all. "Folder" is for syncing with a specific local folder on your Mac.. With "None", an external vault will not be used at all, only 1Password's internal database. If you decide to sync with other devices later on, all you need to do is configure Dropbox sync on each of them and you'll be good to go. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

If you meant something different, I can't give you the answer you're looking for unless you clarify.

So, I paste it here again verbatim: "In my current setting with one user, one device, one primary vault and 1Password 6 for Mac in 30 days trial what should I select in Preferences: "none" or "sync with folder"?". "Sync with folder" was highlighted be default after I opened downloaded 1Password 6 and directed it the the location of the transferred old agilekeychain - so, that what I selected in Preferences.

That isn't what you asked, so it isn't the question I answered, but I'll take another crack at it. I think that the problem is you're expecting us to tell you what to do, but it's really up to you. Do you want to sync or not? If so, which sync method do you prefer? It isn't something we proscribe for users, but we're happy to help you if you'll tell us what you're trying to do.

Again, in other words in my setting with one device and no external syncing how the functionality of 1Password will be affected if I select "none" or syncing "with folder".

It sounds like "None" is appropriate, unless you've left out some important detail. Maybe I need to ask a better question: Why are you messing with sync settings at all if you're not intending to sync?

I also must notice that I am Mac user from the very first classic Macintosh (I believe in 1981) and 1Password user for 10 years. If I do not understand the option "sync to folder" there is probably something wrong with the system design and selection of preferences that should be intuitive and self explanatory.

Sync settings don't apply to you at all if you're not syncing, and in that case you also don't need to understand them. You're making it more complicated for yourself than needed. Many other users do appreciate having the option to sync to a local folder though, so they can use something like rsync locally between multiple computers. Not something I'd recommend, but to each their own. Some people like doing things the hard way. :)

Never before after years of using 1Password 3 for Mac I had to contact repeatedly Support and Forum for help to assist me with the understanding of the migration and preference options. Where, for example, is the sync folder in my setting with one device and no external syncing after I selected "sync with folder" by default?

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here, but when you setup Folder Sync you select a location. It sounds like you're asking us to tell you how you've set it up, but we have no way of knowing that I'm afraid; only you do.

We're happy to help in any way we can, but I think it might be of benefit for you to identify what you're trying to do first, and then we can make suggestions as to how to accomplish that.

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member

Thank you for detailed reply to my questions. I think that I understand now that in my setting of one device "sync to folder" means actually syncing to agilekeychain file which currently does not make much difference because at this time I do not sync my new Mac Book Air with other devices but this agilekeychain file will be used when I am ready to activate syncing with either Dropbox or iCloud.

I do have one more question about agilekeychain file but have to explain my current setting to make clear what I am trying to do. I post the question at the end.

I am a licensed user of 1Password 3 for Mac purchased in October 2011. I use it with Firefox and Safari extensions on iMac and MacBook Air form 2011. 1Password.agilekeychain file is in Dropbox folder. I have not upgraded Mac OS until now because of the legacy software that I am used to and because I was very satisfied with the performance and the features of my current set up. But for the same reasons, I could not upgrade 1Password 3 and could not upgrade Firefox beyond v.39.0.3 because of the issues with the 1Password extension in the higher versions of Firefox.

Now, when Dropbox is about to terminate the support for my v. of Mac OS, iCloud not available and I am beginning to experience the issues with support on some other web sites, I purchased the latest MacBook Air and upgraded to OS 10.13.2 High Sierra. I am trying to reproduce my current setup and functionality with the latest compatible versions of the software including 1Password without synchronizing the new laptop, i.e. I will continue to use my old hardware until I confirm the availability, functionality and compatibility of upgraded programs with the new system. I also need 1Password on my new MacBook Air for the logins. I downloaded 1Password 6.8.5 for 30 days trial and plan to purchase stand alone license at the end of the trial. Because I do not want to sync for now 1Password or any other files on my new MacBook Air with the older Macs, I had to manually transfer my current up to date agilekeychain file generated by 1Password 3 from the Dropbox folder in older Mac. I followed Lars's advice from a different discussion which is now closed on how to transfer agilekeychain file with a USB flash drive and how to direct the current downloaded 1Password on opening to the transferred agilekeychain file.

Everything worked out fine. 1Password 6 recognized my master password and opened the vault. All logins and password are on the list and available. I downloaded and installed 1Password extensions for Firefox and Safari with no problems and now have 1Password icons in my Dock on the desktop, 1Password mini icon in the top menu bar and when browsers opened in their toolbars (though I like better the older "key" icon that I find more distinctive and easier to locate than the new "keyhole" icon).

So, here is the question. The current agilekeychain file on the older Mac that I am still using will continue to be updated with new passwords and logins by 1Password 3. When in a few weeks I am ready to actually switch to my new MacBook Air that was not synced, can I simply delete the outdated by that time agilekeychain file on the new MacBook Air and transfer again with the flash drive the current up to date agilekeychain file from the older Mac to the same location on the new MacBook Air as I just did and would it be transparent to 1Password 6 (looks to me that I would just manually perform the syncing that otherwise would be done online by Dropbox) or 1Password 6 would get confused by such a substitution and I would need somehow to direct again 1Password to the location of the newly transferred agilekeychain file (the same as deleted agilekeychain file)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for detailed reply to my questions. I think that I understand now that in my setting of one device "sync to folder" means actually syncing to agilekeychain file which currently does not make much difference because at this time I do not sync my new Mac Book Air with other devices but this agilekeychain file will be used when I am ready to activate syncing with either Dropbox or iCloud.

@drlevbk: Yep! Sounds like a plan. :) :+1:

I am a licensed user of 1Password 3 for Mac purchased in October 2011. I use it with Firefox and Safari extensions on iMac and MacBook Air form 2011. 1Password.agilekeychain file is in Dropbox folder. I have not upgraded Mac OS until now because of the legacy software that I am used to and because I was very satisfied with the performance and the features of my current set up.

That's really great to hear! Thank you for the kind words, and for your support! :chuffed:

But for the same reasons, I could not upgrade 1Password 3 and could not upgrade Firefox beyond v.39.0.3 because of the issues with the 1Password extension in the higher versions of Firefox.

Indeed, it isn't possible to run recent browser versions on legacy OSes, and similarly things have changed enough that it's necessary to be up to date with OSes, 1Password, browsers, and the extensions for them all to work together.

Everything worked out fine. 1Password 6 recognized my master password and opened the vault. All logins and password are on the list and available. I downloaded and installed 1Password extensions for Firefox and Safari with no problems and now have 1Password icons in my Dock on the desktop, 1Password mini icon in the top menu bar and when browsers opened in their toolbars (though I like better the older "key" icon that I find more distinctive and easier to locate than the new "keyhole" icon).

Sounds good. It took some getting used to for me too, but having the same icon for both the app and browser extension makes both easier to recognize in the long run, once you adjust.

So, here is the question. The current agilekeychain file on the older Mac that I am still using will continue to be updated with new passwords and logins by 1Password 3. When in a few weeks I am ready to actually switch to my new MacBook Air that was not synced, can I simply delete the outdated by that time agilekeychain file on the new MacBook Air and transfer again with the flash drive the current up to date agilekeychain file from the older Mac to the same location on the new MacBook Air as I just did and would it be transparent to 1Password 6 (looks to me that I would just manually perform the syncing that otherwise would be done online by Dropbox) or 1Password 6 would get confused by such a substitution and I would need somehow to direct again 1Password to the location of the newly transferred agilekeychain file (the same as deleted agilekeychain file)?

This is pretty straightforward, but I'm glad you bought it up. If I understand you correctly, you're kind of using 1Password on the new Mac as a "test" along with setting other things up. In the mean time you'll still be using 1Password on the old Mac. Once you're ready to make the final transition to the new Mac, you'll copy the 1Password data from the old Mac to the new one again, with the intention of replacing the data there. If that's all right, you'll need to reset 1Password on the new Mac and then set it up with the newly copied data from the old one, once you're ready to complete your transition. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member

Just to confirm that I understood your instructions in the last paragraph of your reply.

When I am ready to make the transition to the new Mac, I first delete outdated agilekeychain file on the new Mac > then transfer again the current up to date agilekeychain file from the old Mac with the flash drive > then reset 1Password on the new Mac per the link you provided > and then when I open 1Password next time I will set it up with the newly copied data (up to date agilekeychain file transferred again from the old Mac).

In the last step I will be following again the same steps that I already used after the first transfer of agilekeychain file for testing per Lars's advice - I copy it below just to be sure that this is what I will be doing after resetting 1Password.

• "If you have an up-to-date Agile Keychain file, you can copy it to a USB flash drive, then transfer that to your new Mac's desktop. Once it's there, you can put it wherever you like. At the Welcome screen when you first launch 1Password 6 for Mac on your new Mac, you'll be asked if you're a new user. Instead, under "Used 1Password before,"click More Options then Search My Mac. At the next screen, choose Pick a different location and then Choose a file on my Mac. Finally, click "Choose File" button at the next screen, and in the pop-up window, navigate to the 1Password Agile Keychain you brought over from your older Mac, and click Open. 1Password should lock and afterwards, entering your previous Master Password should unlock it for you." -
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@drlevbk: Exactly! :) :+1:

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member

Thank you again. I am very clear on what we discussed. Still, I have one more question that I would like you to address.

On my new Mac, 1Password is still set to "sync to folder" and shows in the same Preferences window "1Password.agilekeychain" file in the location that I transferred it to from the old Mac with a flash drive as the final destination for syncing. Of course, no other devices are currently synced to this file. So, if when I am ready I delete this agilekeychain file and replace it with up to date agilekeychain file that I will transfer again from the old Mac as we discussed above, why 1Password would not simply sync to this newly transferred agilekeychain file and update all data (as it would do if the same agilekeychain file would be synced and kept current by Dropbox instead of me manually transferring this file with a flash drive).

In other words, if 1Passwords 6 syncs to the newly transferred up to date agilekeychain file why do I need to reset it first?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you again. I am very clear on what we discussed. Still, I have one more question that I would like you to address.

@drlevbk: Sure thing! :chuffed: :+1:

On my new Mac, 1Password is still set to "sync to folder" and shows in the same Preferences window "1Password.agilekeychain" file in the location that I transferred it to from the old Mac with a flash drive as the final destination for syncing.

Ah, if it's set to a removable drive currently, and you have no intention of continually syncing back to that drive, I would just set sync to "none" and then you can do as we discussed previously when the time comes.

Of course, no other devices are currently synced to this file. So, if when I am ready I delete this agilekeychain file and replace it with up to date agilekeychain file that I will transfer again from the old Mac as we discussed above, why 1Password would not simply sync to this newly transferred agilekeychain file and update all data (as it would do if the same agilekeychain file would be synced and kept current by Dropbox instead of me manually transferring this file with a flash drive).

1Password probably would try to sync with the vault in that location again, but I don't recommend trying to do that. Especially if you're not sure that you'll be completing your migration soon. Sync is bidirectional, so 1Password will try to merge the data it has in its internal database with the sync'd vault, but since you want to replace the data on the new computer when you finally finish transitioning, that will probably have undesirable results for you, merging the current data (from the old Mac) with the old copy of it (on the new Mac).

In other words, if 1Passwords 6 syncs to the newly transferred up to date agilekeychain file why do I need to reset it first?

The internal database. The 1Password vault on disk is a sync'd copy. Even if you're not syncing with an external folder or cloud service, 1Password still has your data in it. So you'll want to start over completely so you can use only the canonical copy of your vault, which is currently on you old Mac still. Cheers! :)

• drlevbk
    drlevbk
    Community Member

Thank you again for the explanation. When the time comes for me to switch to the new Mac I will transfer the up to date agilekeychain file from the old Mac and reset 1Password 6 on the new Mac as we discussed.

I also understand the undesirable results if I just transfer the new agilekeychain file and will rely on syncing to folder without resetting 1Password if it actually will try to merge the current data (from the old Mac) with the old copy of it (on the new Mac). But it escapes me why it will try to do that and why this is not a problem with regular syncing.

Just an example with my current set up. I have two devices: iMac and MacBook Air with 1Password 3 and Dropbox syncing. When I travel say for couple of weeks I usually take MacBook Air, while iMac is shut down and unplugged. When I return, the agilekeychain file in Dropbox folder on MacBook Air is current for new, deleted or modified passwords and logins and the agilekeychain file in Dropbox folder on iMac is outdated. However, as soon as I turn iMac on and login, Dropbox syncs the outdated agilekeychain file to the current status with no issue of 1Password having any problem with this and trying to merge the new synced vault with the old data in its internal database. This became such a routine and represents such an advantage of 1Password/Dropbox combination that I simply cannot see how I can operate my computers without this functionality. But how the Dropbox syncing of two agilekeychain files on two Macs is different from me simply transferring the agilekeychain file manually and why there is an issue merging old and current data only in case of manual transfer?

Maybe when 1Password is set to sync with Dropbox, I does more in the background than just to syng agilekeychain files?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I also understand the undesirable results if I just transfer the new agilekeychain file and will rely on syncing to folder without resetting 1Password if it actually will try to merge the current data (from the old Mac) with the old copy of it (on the new Mac). But it escapes me why it will try to do that and why this is not a problem with regular syncing.

@drlevbk: Well, I'm sure it's my fault for explaining this poorly, but if you consider that sync is supposed to be in both directions and you're trying to replace the vault on one Mac with the one from another maybe it helps tie things together. Otherwise, I'll just have to ask you to trust me on this one: if you follow my suggestion it will be a much smoother transition for you. It's a bit different from Dropbox since that is syncing back and forth any time you're connected to the internet — which is probably all the time. And you probably don't have your Dropbox folder on a removable drive. That could cause similar issues with Dropbox if you did. :)

This discussion has been closed.