AgileBits Supporting Low cost OSes

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Lounge

I am uncertain this would actually work as there are quite a few non standard OSes. I read Nokia may release a Kai OS phone. Well Microsoft really bungled Nokia and Win 10 phones are now non standard as well.

https://www.kaiostech.com

KaiOS is said to be a Firefox OS fork, another abandoned mobile OS.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Looks kinda "dumb" (in the sense of not being "smart" phone material) to me, but interesting nonetheless. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Yeah and Android is said to have a "feature phone" variant called Android Go (Oreo).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't see us supporting OSes like this, as I can't imagine them being robust enough for high quality 3rd party apps. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

@brenty,

Sony does have a Ultra Stamina Mode. Disables App Store and turns the smartphone into dumb phone. By switching off 90% of the phone’s features. :)

Merry Christmas

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Merry Christmas, wkleem, and all the best to you and your loved ones!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Same to you @sjk. Android Go (Oreo 8.1) can run Google Play Store apps but will show which ones are optimised for Android Go.

https://blog.google/products/android/introducing-android-oreo-go-edition/

"Android Oreo devices with 512MB to 1GB of memory will come with the all the Go optimizations. This Android Oreo (Go edition) experience is made up of three key components:

Operating System: Performance and storage improvements to the OS with data management features and security benefits built-in.

Google Apps: A new set of Google apps, designed to be lighter and relevant to the unique needs of people who are coming online for the first time.

Google Play Store: A tuned version of the Google Play Store that allows you to download any app, but also highlights the apps designed to work best on your device."

For comparison, my iPhone SE HAS 2GB RAM and the 5s has 1GB RAM. The iPhone 5 and 5c also had 1GB RAM I think

• We don’t have any plans to support additional operating systems at this time, but as platforms continue to mature we can re-evaluate. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.