How recover after DropBox let key go stale on one Mac?

Options
David Gustavson
David Gustavson
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

I'm using 1Password on several Macs, with the keychain shared via Dropbox:
/Users/dbg/Dropbox/Shared Chains/1Passwordold.agilekeychain

Today I discovered that one Mac didn't have current data in one of the Secure Notes, and on investigating I discovered that all the Macs and iPhones were current except that one.
Looking at the DropBox folder, I discovered that that Mac's keychain had a Last Modified date that was at least a month old (I'm not actually sure, it might have been a year and a month old). It was updated in November, while the others were updated a couple days ago.
These were presumably the same file, yet it was stale on the one Mac.
I tried to figure out how to force DropBox to resync the stale file, with no luck. I reinstalled DropBox on that computer, still no luck.
Thinking to protect the good files, I renamed the stale file by adding "old" as shown in line 2 above.

The result was catastrophic: Dropbox proceeded to rename all the other (good) copies as "old", which involved deleting the good copies then overwriting with the stale copy (and the "old" name). Fortunately, this broke all the 1Password connections on the other Macs. Strangely my iPhone shows it hasn't synced for 17 hours, and still has current data in it.

So, the good data exists in the disconnected 1Password machines "cached" I guess.
I've tried Exporting the data from one machine to preserve it, but I don't know yet if I can reimport after fixing the link.
1Password on that machine also offers a list of backups, but when I try to "find" them, nothing shows up. I don't know where they are kept. Is it inside the .agilekeychain?? If so, there's not going to be a current version to restore. When I tell 1Password to Backup in that dialog box, it does so with a current time, but I can't figure out where it wrote the data.

How should I proceed from here? I'm afraid of losing everything.

I can see that the web interface to DropBox supposedly allows me to recover an older version (everything is backed up behind the scenes for a month I believe), but I don't know how to recognize one--the agilekeychain seems to be a complicated structure with folders in it, and there's no modified data on the folder to be a clue. So I should be able to recover from this disaster, but I can see that if I make the wrong move I can easily lose/overwrite everything.
I need advice!

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: DropBox

ref: RNJ-18679-531

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David Gustavson: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! To be clear, we don't have any real insight into or control over Dropbox, but from experience and as 1Password user, I feel pretty strongly that your time will be best spent restoring from a 1Password backup. At least one is made each day you make changes in the app, so there's a good chance you can get back to a pretty good state if you have a sense of when you last had a good database (with the exception of the one item, of course, but let's worry about that later). And restoring from a 1Password backup will disable sync to avoid making things worse in a situation like that, especially if you have to do some trial and error. 1Password's backups are saved in its support folder, whose location will vary depending on which version you're using — AgileBits or Mac App Store. I doin't see how that's relevant given that you have backups (yay!) but if it matters and you let me know which you have I'll be happy to help with that too. :)

This discussion has been closed.