1Password add-on not working with Firefox Nightly 59.0a1 (2017-12-23)

glawrie
glawrie
Community Member

Just a heads-up on this.

There are threads (from October) where this has happened before (with Firefox Nightly 58) that were eventually resolved somehow.

Anyhow whatever it is, it is back with same symptoms as before (1P logo flashing in toolbar).

Not sure who or what was done to fix it last time (seemed to be a lot of finger pointing going on in Oct thread) - but hopefully it will be resolved again soon.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.5 (685003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.7.0.1 beta
OS Version: macOS 10.13.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Xorkle
    Xorkle
    Community Member

Hi!

Yeah, noticed exactly the same. I noticed that (for the second time) the default browser had been reset back to Safari due to Mozilla changing the bundle ID (the ID of the app that distuingishes it from other apps). Since the extension tries to communicate with the app at "X" ID, but "X" ID no longer exists and is now "Y" ID, it doesn't know who to communicate with! and thus bails

That's my understanding of it at least

I'd guess this would be Mozilla's fault for them changing the app ID, not 1Password.

Last time this was fixed by Mozilla reverting the change(?)

Thanks,
    Zack

• HypoLuxa
    HypoLuxa
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

It's fixed in the latest nightly 59.0a1 (2017-12-24)

Extension 4.7.0.1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Good to hear. I know how that is. Running nightlies can be a real roller coaster ride sometimes. Have a wonderful Christmas! :)

• kamidev
    kamidev
    Community Member

Hi! This is apparently still a problem with Firefox Developer Edition (which updated to 59 tonight). They did change the app ID when installing and I had the same problem with Safari suddenly becoming the default browser. I hope Mozilla fixes it again.

• kamidev
    kamidev
    Community Member

Firefox Developer Edition is now at Firefox 59.0b1, so this may be a regression from Mozilla. Does anyone have a link to the old thread about this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kamidev - not sure what you mean by "a link to the old thread about this?" If you're referring to a thread here at the AgileBits forum, I'm not sure which one you mean. If you mean a thread with Mozilla, that's not something I have immediately to hand. We're always grateful for the heads-up regarding issues with nightly versions, but we don't guarantee there won't be issues with such builds because they're so new.

• kamidev
    kamidev
    Community Member

Thank you. Of course, occasional issues can be expected when running new builds.

Glawrie started this thread saying: "There are threads (from October) where this has happened before (with Firefox Nightly 58) that were eventually resolved somehow". So i was hoping to find a relevant link to Mozillas issue tracker somewhere... but couldn't even find the right october threads here. :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kamidev - since I'm not entirely certain what threads you may be looking for, I'm not certain what to recommend other than to say Vanilla's (our forum software) search function is pretty good: if you enter the right terms into the search bar, you can find most threads, assuming they exist.

• NoahD
    NoahD
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same behaviour today on FIrefox Developer Edition 59.0b1 on macOS 10.13—the 1Password icon is grey, flashing black about once per second, and can't be used. There's a lot of this sort of stuff in the browser console:

stderr output from native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password: 2018-01-18 13:21:14.015 OnePasswordNativeMessageHost[10597:298347] 685003 [EXT_NMH:(Secondary Thread 0x7f8cd3c17920):<OPNMXPCConnection: 0x7f8cd3e1c360>] E connect | XPC connection error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=connection to service named 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper}
    [CHROME:NM] Port <[object Object]> disconnected: No disconnect message  global.min.js:234:122
    [AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected.  global.min.js:99:201
    1Password detected a high number of disconnections from the browser extension to the main application between Thu Jan 18 2018 13:19:11 GMT-0500 (EST) and Thu Jan 18 2018 13:21:14 GMT-0500 (EST)  global.min.js:234:470
    [AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected.  global.min.js:99:201
    Finished loading auth configuration. Processing callbacks.  global.min.js:83:123
    stderr output from native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password: 2018-01-18 13:21:15.605 OnePasswordNativeMessageHost[10598:298358] 685003 [EXT_NMH:(Main Thread):<OnePasswordNativeMessageHost: 0x7fe493507ca0>] E run | Launched
    stderr output from native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password: 2018-01-18 13:21:15.608 OnePasswordNativeMessageHost[10598:298358] 685003 [EXT_NMH:(Main Thread):<OPNMXPCConnection: 0x7fe4934147c0>] E connect | Attempting to connect
    stderr output from native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password: 2018-01-18 13:21:15.633 OnePasswordNativeMessageHost[10598:298359] 685003 [EXT_NMH:(Secondary Thread 0x7fe493511420):<OPNMXPCConnection: 0x7fe4934147c0>] E connect | XPC connection was invalidated or interrupted
    stderr output from native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password: 2018-01-18 13:21:15.633 OnePasswordNativeMessageHost[10598:298359] 685003 [EXT_NMH:(Main Thread):<OPNMXPCConnection: 0x7fe4934147c0>] E tearDownXPCConnectionAndWaitPatiently | Waiting for Mini to return

I've tried reinstalling the 1Password add-on in Firefox, and rebooting—neither made any difference.

BTW, I suspect the October thread that glawrie was referring to might have been this one:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/82656/

• @noahd,

thanks for that, but we don't need any further details on this issue. FFDE changed its bundle id to something that isn't what we recognize, nor is it a valid bundle id. We've filed an issue in their bug tracker for them to revert this change.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1431477

Rudy

• kamidev
    kamidev
    Community Member

Thank you @rudy! Let's hope Mozilla revert this change again. And thanks @noahd, that thread does seem to be about the last time this happened.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kamidev - on behalf of rudy, you're quite welcome - hopefully we can sort this out with Mozilla soon enough. Thanks for reporting!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Here's what Jamie summarized about this issue:

There's currently a bug with Firefox Developer Edition's bundle identifier. We've been discussing this here in the forums, and you can follow this Mozilla bug to see when it should be resolved.

That discussion is still open and we'll close this one now.

If the 1Password extension isn't working in Firefox for some other reason after trying what Lars suggested, feel free to start a new discussion (including Firefox and 1Password version numbers) so we can help you get it working.

This discussion has been closed.