To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

About Emergency Kit

unimariJo
unimariJo
Community Member

Hello! :)

Is it okay to store Emergency Kit in iCloud Drive? I also store the emergency kit in safe deposit box.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

If you trust Apple, then it's fine to upload your Emergency Kit to iCloud but only write your password on the copy that you physically lodge in your Safe Deposit Box.

Apple can disclose the contents of iCloud upon receiving a subpoena. Similarly if iCloud were hacked then a criminal would have both your Secret Key and Password - it'd be game over.

Make sure you keep a physical copy somewhere because if you get locked out of iCloud and 1Password then there'd be no way to retrieve your Secret Key and you'd lose access.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I agree with darrenNZ on this one, but it's worth noting that this is really a matter of personal choice. Not all of us are subject to the same risks, so what is acceptable to one person won't be for another. Personally, I have several devices authorized so unless all of them go at once I'm in good shape...and then I have the real Emergency Kit in the bank if I need it. Cheers! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Well, here is an idea you could try to make things very difficult if someone where to get into your iCloud account. Creat an encrypted disk image (sparse bundle), highest encryption you can (256), put a 16-20 digit password on it ( upper case, lower case, numbers and special characters ) do not duplicate the password for this with any others you may have, and then put that guy up on iCloud after you put your Emergency Kit inside the disk image and close it. Just an idea.

• @Steve_H.

It’s a thought, but then of course you need to remember the password for the disk image. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also, and I feel silly for not mentioning this earlier, but for those of us who store our iCloud login credentials in 1Password, it might be problematic to get to an Emergency Kit stored there. Like any backup/emergency plan, definitely worth taking the time to think it through and do a test run to identify any snags like that ahead of time. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

brenty and Ben, I agree with both of you 100%. No matter what the plan is, you will need to have some information written down on paper somewhere. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Better safe than sorry! :sunglasses: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.