Purchase Standalone/Licence Version of 1P

Hello,

Does AgileBits still offer the standalone/licensed version of 1P still? I'm currently using the standalone and am interested in purchasing another license for my partner to use. I understand that this is still available for purchase, but that it is de-emphasised on the main website. I understand the differences between both versions but would prefer the standalone. As per this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75587/still-offer-one-time-license-purchase

Could you please let me know what I need to do to purchase if this is available and how much?

Thanks,
Linda

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Yes, you can still purchase a standalone version but only for Mac; it's $64.99 and can be purchased here. You won't receive any major updates unless you pay for the software again: that's how perpetual software licensing works.

If you're on Windows then you're out of luck. AgileBits are looking to review this when 1Password 7 is released but there's no timeframe and no indication of price.

Customers are being pushed towards the subscription model which includes free updates, free secure storage and the ability to install it on multiple platforms with no extra cost.

• LarsLars Junior Member

AgileBits Team Member

@lin_da_l - Yep! As @darrenNZ mentioned, we do offer 1Password for Mac for sale as a standalone purchase, and we've committed to making sure both local vaults and standalone licensing are available for the upcoming 1Password 7 as well.

I wouldn't say we're "pushing" customers toward subscriptions -- if you've examined the options, understand the differences and feel a standalone license is the best option for you, we won't argue. What we have found is that most new users just want 1Password to work with as little fuss/setup/maintenance from them as feasible. For people with this approach, we recommend - and make no apologies for recommending - a 1password.com subscription. It's more robust and much easier to set up, making it the best choice for the vast majority of users.

But if you're an advanced user who knows what you want and is comfortable manually setting up sync and keeping up to date with license upgrade purchases, we've got you covered as well. :)

• Hi Lars,

Thank you for clarifying. My partner is interested in purchasing the standalone version for himself as he is quite adept with the technical setup of 1Password, and I'm currently using the licensed version. How would we need to go about purchasing the standalone version instead of the subscription version?

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@lin_da_l: As mentioned above, they can purchase a license directly from us for 1Password for Mac. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• Hi brenty,

Is what you said March 12 still valid or has it changed in the last two weeks? I downloaded the trial version a couple weeks ago and was all set to buy the license today, only it no longer seems to be an option either on the AgileBits store, in the Mac App store, or through the app itself.

My husband uses 1Password and had purchased a standalone license for all his devices. I would like to do the same, as he is reluctant to switch to the subscription model, having already purchased the license.

• Dan RichardsonDan Richardson Junior Member
    edited March 29

The Agilebits Store link now redirects to https://1password.com/sign-up/. I don't see anything about standalone versions there. The blog beta post mentions a discount for purchasing now. Where can I do that?

• BenBen AWS Team

AgileBits Team Member

All standalone license purchasing for 1Password for Mac is now done within the app. Thanks!

Ben

If so, it's certainly well hidden. Any hints as to where in the app I might find this? Updates with Include Beta Builds sees nothing. That was the closest thing I could find.

• LarsLars Junior Member

AgileBits Team Member

@Dan Richardson - if you're using 1Password 7 for Mac beta, click on the 1Password menu item, and you'll see the option to purchase right there.

Ah, that explains it. I'm on 6. I don't run betas of critical apps. So this prepurchase discount is only available through the beta?

• BenBen AWS Team

AgileBits Team Member

Correct. The current promotional pricing is to encourage folks who want to help us beta test the app. If you’re not interested in that, that’s totally fine, and we’ll have another sale when the app launches. But buying under the beta promotion and not running the beta would run contrary to the intention here.

Ben

• After having installed the beta, I was looking for the option to upgrade the standalone license (at the $39.90/offer). Looked for it within the beta - as noted above on this page - in the 1Password menu. But no matter what point I choose after that, I get a box telling me, that my account is frozen. I am given an option to subscribe (and pay accordingly), but no offer to upgrade or buy new license? From the agilebits.com og 1password sites, I also cannot locate a place to buy the license????
    What did I miss?
    Martin

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@martin_dk: It sounds like you're signed into a 1Password.com account in the app — and one which is frozen, at that. If you're using a 1Password.com account, it makes sense to setup billing for the membership so it isn't stuck as read-only from being frozen anymore. If you prefer to not use a 1Password.com account though, you can sign out and 1Password will function as a standalone app, and allow you to purchase the license upgrade. We just don't want 1Password.com members, who don't need to purchase a license at all, to do so accidentally. Cheers! :)

• Great - thank you! I got rid of the frozen subscription, that was kept from a trial period way back. I have been using vaults on Dropbox, but the account was not a hindrance. But - as you wrote - after signing out, the buying option was as needed.
    Martin

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

Hi brenty, Is what you said March 12 still valid or has it changed in the last two weeks? I downloaded the trial version a couple weeks ago and was all set to buy the license today, only it no longer seems to be an option either on the AgileBits store, in the Mac App store, or through the app itself. My husband uses 1Password and had purchased a standalone license for all his devices. I would like to do the same, as he is reluctant to switch to the subscription model, having already purchased the license.

@martin_dk: Yep! A lot sure has changed this week: We're no longer selling licenses for 1Password 6, as we've announced the public beta of 1Password 7. You're welcome to try that, and, if you do, you can make a purchase there for a discounted price. We also offer a trial with all new 1Password.com signups, either in-app or through the website, so you may want to check out 1Password Families since that would allow you to invite your husband (and other loved ones) to share vaults with him securely — and not have to purchase separate licenses at all. If you'd like to try that, just shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here. I'll be happy to help you make the transition. :)

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@martin_dk: Glad that helped, Martin! Have a great weekend. We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• Here's what I have: (from the About screen)
    1Password
    Version 6.8.8 (688001)
    Mac App Store
    I bought the App Store version (even though I owned a non-App Store version at the time) specifically because at the time, I could only use DropBox for my vault. iCloud wasn't available. I think that that's changed by now.
    Am I correct in thinking that once v7 goes GM, I'll be able to buy a non-subscription upgrade?

• I have an old family stand-alone license from years ago that's still working well on 1password6. If I don't move to the subscription license* I'm guessing I would have to buy a stand-alone license for every machine I use it on? Anyone know if that is the case?

*There are work-related reasons for this.

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

I have an old family stand-alone license from years ago that's still working well on 1password6. If I don't move to the subscription license* I'm guessing I would have to buy a stand-alone license for every machine I use it on? Anyone know if that is the case?

@Sorrel: No need to worry. We don't care about the context in which you use your 1Password license. It's for you as an individual for the version you paid for on any machine you use. :)

*There are work-related reasons for this.

Even at work, each of us is still a person...though it may not always feel that way. Cheers! :lol:

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

Here's what I have: (from the About screen)
    1Password
    Version 6.8.8 (688001)
    Mac App Store
    I bought the App Store version (even though I owned a non-App Store version at the time) specifically because at the time, I could only use DropBox for my vault. iCloud wasn't available. I think that that's changed by now.

@Sorrel: Indeed, we added support for syncing with iCloud to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password with 6.0.

Am I correct in thinking that once v7 goes GM, I'll be able to buy a non-subscription upgrade?

Correct, you'll be able to buy a license for 1Password for Mac version 7 at that time. Cheers! :)

• LarsLars Junior Member

AgileBits Team Member

@Zeke - 1Password 7 for Mac will definitely be available on the Mac App Store when it's officially released. There's never been any doubt about that. What IS still uncertain is whether we'll be selling standalone licenses on the Mac App Store. Memberships will definitely be available via Apple Subscription (or through us), but no decision's yet been made regarding whether we'll be selling standalone licenses via the Mac App Store. There are pluses and minuses either way, but regardless, standalone licenses will definitely be available through our own store.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file