2 separate master passwords on 2 separate IOS devices

ShellySusman
ShellySusman
Community Member

I have had 1Password for a couple years.

On my IPad Pro, I recently created a 1Password account with a new master password. I then ‘migrated’ my existing vault.

The problem:
On the IPad Pro, I successfully unlock 1Password using the new master password.
On my iPhone, I successfully unlock 1Password using the old master password.
I did some testing and confirmed bi-directional synchronization between the 2 devices is working.
** How do I update 1Password on the iPhone to use the new master password?

To setup my iPhone, I opened 1Password using my ‘old’ master password. I then went to Settings => 1Password Accounts => Add Existing Account. I selected the new account I created on my IPad Pro.

Next, I navigated to Settings => Vaults. There are 2 vaults here:
1. Primary - my ‘old’ vault
2. Personal - the new vault created when I created the 1Password account on the IPad Pro.

I set the following:
Settings => Vaults => All Vaults => Vault for Saving = Personal
Settings => Vaults => All Vaults => VAULTS INCLUDED IN ALL VAULTS Primary Toggle = off
Settings =>Vaults => All Vaults => VAULTS INCLUDED IN ALL VAULTS Personal Toggle = on
Settings => Vaults => ALWAYS OPEN TO Personal Vault - [my name]

Finally, I would like to delete the old vault titled Primary. This might actually fix the master password problem. I am very hesitant to delete the old vault, for I fear I will harm or lose the new Personal vault.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 11.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ShellySusman: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like when you setup your 1Password.com account, you used a different Master Password there. That's fine, but it makes sense that you'd have a different Master Password to unlock on a device that you'd setup that way previously. I think you're right on here, but before we go any further, please sign into your 1Password.com account in your web browser and view your data:

https://start.1password.com/vaults/all/allitems

Do you have all of your data there in your account, including what you have in the Primary vault on your iPhone? If so, you don't need the Primary vault at all, and you're good to go. Just follow these steps:

1. On your iPhone, go to 1Password Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete
    2. Go into 1Password Settings > Accounts on both devices and sign in if you're not already
    3. Go into 1Password Settings > Vaults on both devices and verify that you have the same vaults -- only those in your account -- there as well.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ShellySusman
    ShellySusman
    Community Member

Hi Brenty
    Everything is perfect! I folllowed your guidance and I now have a single password for both my IOS devices. Additionally, I was able to safely delete the ‘old’ vault.

Thank you so much for your help.

Shelly

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, Shelly! Glad to help. We're here if you need anything else. Happy new year! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.